Wusthof vs Shun: Two Best Knives
Wusthof vs. Shun: A Comparison of Kitchen Knives
The companies sell the best quality cutlery set in the market. Though these blades differ greatly in their building, structure, and utility, still they are the best companies to choose your cutlery from. The blades you need are decided by its utility, so according to your utility choose the best chef knife that you need. So you should compare kitchen knives before you buy them.
Overview: The Companies and Their Knives
|Place of Origin||Seki City, Japan||Solingen, Germany|
|Steel Grade||VG10, VG-MAX SG2 or High-Carbon “Blue”||High-Carbon or Stainless Steel|
|Blade Style||Japanese Style||Western Style|
|Handle Material||PakkaWood, Micarta, Thermoplastic or Polypropylene||Polyoxymethylene, Polypropylene, Richlite or “Grenadill” African Blackwood|
|Cleaning||Hand Wash||Hand Wash|
Shun knives are manufactured in Japan so they have a Japanese design, on the other hand, Wusthof knives are German and they have a German design. To be precise, the cuts of the Wusthof knives edges are at a 14° angle on both sides and the cuts of the Shun knives edges are at a 16° angle on both sides. The lower angle on the Wusthof makes it sharper than the Shun ones.
Wusthof blades are made from thicker, heavier, and more malleable steel. Whereas Shun blades are made from thinner, lighter, and harder steel. This property of the Wusthof cutlery makes it more durable than the Shun ones.
If you compare Wusthof vs. Shun they have 5 and 11 knife lines respectively. Each product of both companies has its unique design and feel. Proper knife comparison always ends with these two brands at the top. The argument always ends at German knives vs. Japanese knives. The knives are pricey but it is worth every penny because you will use them for the rest of your life and these blades come with a limited warranty. If you need to compare Wusthof vs. Shun in detail read on.
German Knives from Wusthof
- WÜSTHOF Cutlery is crafted to resist corrosion and dulling
- High Carbon Stainless Steel Blades, precisely
- 3 Piece Knife Set with dual riveted synthetic
Since 1814 Wusthof have been manufacturing cutlery in Germany. They manufacture stamped blades that are laser cut out of a large sheet of steel, named Pro and Gourmet. They also make forged blades that are heat molded by 40 steps into one piece of stainless steel with high-carbon. Some regard this as the best chef knife of all time.
The uniqueness of the blades is mainly due to their best quality materials and high-end design.
They use high carbon steel alloys that are resistant to rust and some other elements are added to increase hardness and durability.
These blades have a unique balanced design. Thus design prevents you from chopping your hand while using it.
As mentioned before the manufacturing process goes through 40 steps that are unique to the brand.
Japanese Knives from Shun
- Beautifully crafted, Asian-inspired chef’s knife sure to become a kitchen favorite; the Santoku knife easily handles all basic kitchen cutting tasks with unmatched versatility
- Light and agile, combined with being slightly shorter than the standard chef’s knife, makes the Premier Santoku knife a top performer for users from professional chefs to the family kitchen
- Easy to use as a chef’s knife and is especially effective with a down-and-forward cutting motion; hammered tsuchime finish helps release food easily when cutting for clean and precise results
- VG-MAX “super steel,” 34 layers on each side of stainless Damascus cladding and contoured walnut-colored PakkaWood handle that fits every hand like a glove, set this knife apart
- Versatile, easy-to-use knife for a variety of purposes: chopping, slicing, peeling, cutting, grilling out, preparing dinner, chopping vegetables, preparing food or giving as a thoughtful gift
Since 1908, the part of the Japanese KAI group named Shun has been manufacturing kitchen appliances and cutlery. They use skilled craftsmen who follow a 100 step process to handcraft each of their blades. They follow the techniques used by ancient Japanese swordsmith to keep their legacy alive in their work. They are considered as one of the best knife brands in the world.
These blades also stand out because of their materials and designs.
They use “super steels” called VG10, SG2, VG-MAX, and High-carbon “Blue.” The materials are refined, have high edge retention, and are corrosion and chip resistant.
They have a crafted design that always makes them stand out in the market. These blades are excellent for beautiful finishes and sharp angles.
As mentioned before the manufacturing process goes through 100 steps that are unique to the brand.
The differences found in Japanese vs. German knives are a crucial part of the Wusthof vs Shun reviews. The main differences between these two brands are that they use completely different materials to manufacture kitchen knives. Their designs are based on totally different, which is German and Japanese ancient designs. And their durability and cutting angle of the edges differ by 2 degrees, which concludes the chef knife comparison by proving the Wusthof blades to be sharper and durable than the Shun blades. Nevertheless, there are more aspects of knife selection, so people have their preferences.
The similarities found in German knives vs. Japanese knives are a crucial part of the Wusthof vs Shun reviews. The major similarities between these two brands are that they are always at the top of the list in these comparisons. They share their elegant steel quality; both the companies have their unique design and preferences. Whenever it comes to chef knife German vs. Japanese, the built quality, the design, and the feel although being completely different are of elite quality.
Other Brands for You
The other knife brands apart from Shun or Wusthof are:
- Cutco – This is a U.S. based company that sells high-quality blades in the market. They provide a complete set of kitchen knives, cutlery, and kitchen accessories.
- Dalstrong – These blades are manufactured in china. They are known to sell blades that are used to slice with power. They sell a wide range of kitchen cutlery.
- Victorinox – This is a Swiss army brand. They are the manufacturers of the original Swiss army knives. Their uniqueness is in the durable and strong steel they use for their sharp Swiss blades.
Now that you have learned all about the best two brands for kitchen knives in 2021, we think you will choose from one of these two brands for your knife. It is worth the investment, so go and get your knife from any online store today. Let us know about your experience in the comments.