- 1 Spatula Overview
- 2 Turner Overview
- 3 Comparison Between Spatula and Turner
- 4 Final Word
Cooking a perfect ‘first’ pancake is often difficult. But that should not discourage you because having the right spatula or turner can be life-changing. In case you are confused between the two tools, we have got you covered. All you need to do is learn the difference between a spatula vs turner and then choose one that suits your needs the best. Keep reading to know more!
We want you to choose the best kitchen tools. So, stay hooked to know whether to buy a spatula or a tuner!
It is an essential kitchen tool used for spreading ingredients, cleaning, and mixing. For those who are wondering what is a spatula used for, it is equipment using which you can easily spread the batter in the utensil while baking a cake. Also, you can wipe out the excess ingredients from a vessel using the same. It usually has a head made of silicone rubber and its head is thin plus wide. It is slightly curved in shape to fit inside utensils easily.
Types of Spatula
The different spatula types sold in the market are as follows:
- Fish Spatulas: This variety have a very smooth curved surface lacking a sharp angle. The shape of the tool adds to the flexibility. Therefore, you can cook delicate ingredients quite easily with it.
- Cake Spatulas: Are you a cake lover? Then this is the tool you should purchase. This will help you spread the batter evenly so that the cake resembles a perfect shape.
- Offset Spatulas: If you want something between a turner and palette knife, then this is the one. You can easily frost waffles, cakes, and pancakes!
- Flat Silicone Spatulas: For those who prefer cooking on stovetops, this is the perfect tool. It has great flexibility that allows scrapping out almost everything out of a utensil with ease.
As the name suggests, the turner is a kitchen tool used for turning the ingredients while cooking. This tool is also known as a flipper spatula. It has a flat and broad head. With it, you can easily flip heavy food items as well. The head of the tool has tiny holes or slots to pass the excess grease of the food. It is also used in many households for serving meals. Therefore, it is a multi-purpose tool!
Types of Turners
The different types of turners found in the stores are mentioned below:
- Perforated Turners: These are the ones with numerous holes on the head. The holes help in dripping off the unwanted oil or grease from the ingredients.
- Slotted Turners: This tool is made of slots, which is not only great for dripping off grease but also help in turning fragile foods with care.
- Solid Turners: As you might have guessed by the name, this one comes without any holes or slots. It’s pure solid and is great for cooking pancakes in a carbon steel pan.
Comparison Between Spatula and Turner
There are a few major differences between spatula vs flipper. The comparison table of the differences is as follows:
|Thin and wide headed||Flat and broad headed|
|Used for spreading ingredients||Used for flipping and serving food|
|Not great for delicate food items||Can handle delicate ingredients easily|
The materials used in both the tools are more or less the same. The different materials used along with their pros and cons are listed below:
Rubber: mostly used in fish spatulas
- Very flexible and soft
- Easily available
- Gets stained
- No heat-proof
Silicone: highly used in sharp-angled kitchen tools
- Works great on pans
- Can be cleaned easily
- Very unhealthy
- Cooking odors stay for a long time
Metal: used more in solid turners
- Best for heavy ingredients
- Gets hot sooner
Wood: perfectly suited for mixing knife
- Hard to maintain
- Prone to bacteria
Plastic: great for serving and slotted flippers
- Easy maintenance
- Not durable
- Chemically toxic
The Shape of the Head
The difference between spatula and turner head is minor yet significant. The head of a spatula is soft, non-toxic, wide, and thin. This shape helps in spreading ingredients. On the other hand, the head of a tuner is slightly curved, flat, and broad. The curved nature is great for turning ingredients.
When observed keenly, you will see that a spatula is straight whereas a turner is a bit curved. Both of them have different constructions because of the different purposes they are used for. As said before, the straight longitudinal shape is best for spreading, mixing, and baking foods. The curved form of the flippers helps in turning and serving food items.
For chefs, it is no brainer to differentiate between various kitchen tools. However, this job is not very easy for common people. But we hope this article will you help decide between spatula vs turner. So, depending on your needs which tool will you buy? Do tell us!