These simple yet amazing cookers have become very popular in most modern Kitchens today. It’s a revolution in cooking and proof that you can easily and quickly prepare a healthy meal. These versatile appliances are perfect substitutes for rice cookers and other slow cookers. You certainly may have heard a case, if not cases of instant pot explosion. This article will help you understand all about this high-pressure cookers, how they work, safety features, instant pot explosion, and how to avoid.
How Does the Instant Pot Work?
It works pretty much like traditional pressure cookers only that it’s electric with digital set buttons. It has an air-tight lid that prevents steam from escaping creating high-pressure surroundings, making food cook rapidly. Unlike the old pressure cookers, these modern ones have built-in safety features that minimize the chances of instant pot explosion even though some cases have been reported.
Are They Safe?
Yes. If used carefully following all the instant pot safety guidelines, they are safe. Can an instant pot explode? You probably have heard some cases of instant pot explosion. As stated above, they are safe and equipped with several safety mechanisms; nevertheless, accidents occur if not kept in mind.
- Compact size: Great size for small households and side dishes, or anywhere space is limited. Has all the features of the Duo60 in a compact size.
- Replaces up to 7 appliances: combines 7 kitchen appliances in 1 to save you space, including: Pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, saute, yogurt maker, and warmer.
- 14 one touch cooking presets for quicker cooking: Soup/broth, meat/stew, bean/chili, poultry, saute/searing, steam, rice, porridge, steam, slow cook, keep Warm, yogurt, manual, and pressure cook.
- Best-selling model: Monitors pressure, temperature, keeps time, and adjusts heating intensity and duration to achieve your desired results every time. Prepare dishes up to 70% faster.
- Easy to clean: Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel lid and components and accessories that are dishwasher safe.
As aforementioned, they are designed to eliminate safety concerns. There are several safety features that different manufacturers put on their products. Here are some:
- Lid close detection – It detects a loose or missing cover; hence won’t activate pressure-cooking.
- Automatic temperature control – There is a thermostat that makes this possible. It ensures temperature and pressure are kept at an optimum level to avoid instant pot explosion.
- Lid lock – when it is still at high pressure, the lid will not open unless you open the steam release valve and let out the pressure.
Causes of Instant Pot Explosion
The most common cause of instant pot explosion is steam vent blockage. It’s caused by food particles blocking steam from being released; hence pressure builds up, and then an instant pot explosion occurs. It’s advisable to clean it, especially the vent, frequently to avoid such occurrence. Other causes include:
- Filling above the maximum level – Even though it’s clearly labeled, most people ignore the recommended max fill, forgetting that some foods expand and may block the vents causing an instant pot explosion or malfunction. Always ensure your fill-up to the manufacturer’s recommended level.
- Not changing sealing – Seals are wearables. They tend to tear and wear from regular use. Some manufacturers recommend replacing them annually. A defective seal ring may cause a minor instant pot explosion.
Real Cases of Instant Pot Explosion
There are cases that have been reported time and again. Some victims have sustained burns, severe injuries, blindness, amputations, and in some cases, death.
In August 2016, a 48-year-old woman suffered severe burns after a pressure cooker exploded in a cafeteria in New Jersey where she worked. The woman sustained burns on her arm and hand.
In September 2016, A woman in Australia was cooking meat in her pressure cooker when it exploded, spilling hot content on her face, neck, and arm. She sustained 2nd-degree burns on 10% of her body.
Source: Instant pot explosion in Breville.
In September 2014, a 2-year-old girl in Florida had one of her legs amputated after suffering a 60% burn on her body. Her grandmother was bathing her when the cooker exploded, splashing hot liquid on her body.
How to Avoid Instant Pot Explosion?
Here are a few tips on how to avoid instant pot exploding:
- It’s essential to read the manual carefully. Some incidents can be avoided by reading through the manual before use.
- Ensure the steam vents and pressure release valve are working as intended.
- Do not put food or liquid above the max fill level.
- Check the lid to make sure it’s well locked before pressurizing.
Where to Go in Case of an Instant Pot Explosion?
The first place you’ll want to go to is the hospital if you are injured. If there are no serious injuries, take photos of the explosion scene for further inspection. Ensure you have a purchase receipt for replacement or warranty purposes. You can also file a lawsuit if it was defective.
It is one kitchen appliance that makes the cooking experience better. However, if not carefully used, instant pot danger is bound to happen. Just like many other machines you buy, you can accidentally injure yourself, other people or cause damage if not used correctly. But this should not stop you from buying one. Check out our instant pot vs. rice cooker comparison here. If you have been reading this article, we hope we’ve ironed out some concerns and unanswered questions for you. You can leave your comments or questions down below.