Dream of fun-filled cooking for a party night? Are you looking to experience healthy and safe cooking, yet differently? Have you been at the advent of choosing grilled food? If it is a “yes” to any of the above questions, then you have landed at the right place. Grilled cuisine is the trend of the current era. People always want to have some delicious food, along with nutritious and healthy by all means. Grilled food can satisfy all these requirements in one go if you get it right! A charcoal grill is one unusual mechanism to make the process simple. Let us get into the details chronologically to understand how to use it optimally to make cooking enjoyable. Here, we will go ahead to discuss all you wanted to know about how to start a charcoal grill.
How do you prepare a charcoal grill?
Preparing the grill is very important at the initial stages. It is the base behind the taste and flavor of the cooked food. So, here are the simple steps we need to concentrate on.
- We might have used the grill previously and noticed the ashes piled up at the bottom. First, clear up the ashes from the grill’s bottom completely to let airflow through the vents.
- We place the food on the charcoal grill grates to cook. Hence, cleaning grills becomes an essential task. Use a firm brush to clean if the layer is rusted and also to get rid of residues. If you still feel it is dirty, you can use dishwashers that can clean it up thoroughly. Clean and dry it under the sun.
- Next, ensure that you preheat the grill grate before placing the food. Once the coal is ready, the grill grate should be set for preheating for a while. After that, grease it with some vegetable oil. It will prevent the food from sticking to the grill. A clean charcoal grill is a primary step towards healthy cooking. Remember this always!
How long does it take to start a charcoal grill?
There are various methods followed to start a grill. On average, every process hardly takes half an hour to light up. Medium heat is required for slow and complete cooking. The briquettes get highly heated up in 10 to 15 minutes and come to medium consistency in about 25 to 30 minutes. Let us read on the different methods possible.
How to start a charcoal grill without a chimney?
Lighter fluid is another secure mechanism in this regard. Follow these simple steps so that you stay safe.
- Pile up the charcoal well, so everything stays in contact. It will help the fire to spread to every coal over the edges.
- Slowly add the fluid all through the coal and light it as soon as possible. It is very dangerous to pour the lighter fluid on a lump of burning coal. It is an important tip to be kept in mind.
- The coal starts getting grayish, and the ashes slowly cover the briquettes. At this stage, we can even spread it out and start using the grill.
How to start a charcoal grill with a chimney?
This method is the most commonly used. You need to get a chimney and some coal to initiate the process.
- Take the chimney separately and fill it with briquettes.
- Take a piece of cloth and dip it well in vegetable oil. Light the fabric and hold it below the chimney. As the fabric keeps burning, it slowly lights the charcoal edges. This is a perfect chimney lighter.
- Allow airflow to vent through the chimney. You can check the instruction manual of the product you purchased to check how much charcoal to use. Light charcoal will serve the purpose well. The edges become gray.
- After a short period, we can see the charcoal coal lighted up and glowing with flames on top and the vents as well. At this stage, we can put it evenly spread on the bottom of the charcoal bbq grill. The fired-up grill is good to go!
How to start a charcoal grill without lighter fluid?
There are other simpler methods to start the grill without lighter fluid. Some ways are:
Electric light starters
Pile up the coal briquettes in the form of a pyramid and light it with an electric starter. Just insert it in between the coal and plug in the starter, switch it on. It will take about ten minutes for the coal to get lighted, especially at the edges. Once you start getting the ashes, take the starter away and place it securely. The briquettes will get light up and spread over. This charcoal, lighter method never fails and doesn’t need any chemicals. It is a long lighter method though, however relatively fast and consistent.
This method can light the grill almost instantly with the combination of a heater and a blower. It has a mechanism to ignite by splashing superheated air onto the charcoal, and the process is straightforward. You have to plug in the looflighter, and touch the bottom of the pile, push the button on top. As you see the coal getting light up, take the lighter slightly above and keep holding it until all the briquettes get lit up.
A charcoal fire starter is in the form of a cardboard coated with wax. We have to place it on the pile of coal and light it up. The wax is generally paraffin wax and not toxic. It is cost-effective and does not leave any residue behind.
How to light charcoal with newspapers?
Lighting with a newspaper is one of the safest methods possible. Let us explore this method in a little detail.
- Take some newspapers and crumble them in the form of small balls. Take about 7 to 8 pieces and soak it all in oil. Arrange these pieces in the form of a pile at the center of the grill.
- Take some small dry, thin sticks and place it above and around the newspaper. It will have a long lighting duration. Place few charcoals above this pile and ignite the newspaper with a matchbox from two or three sides.
- Keep some dry sticks handy to place it above the pile whenever required until the briquettes light up completely.
- As the coal starts lighting up, keep placing more coal on top of the dry sticks, and ensure that you have some newspaper underneath to ignite it.
- Keep repeating this process until you see all the briquettes catch up fire on the edges, and you see the grayish ashes. It takes approximately 30 to 35 charcoals to get the grill light up.
- The inner briquettes would be very hot. The flame keeps spreading to the outer layer on the edges of the coal. It takes about fifteen minutes to see an even spread. Once you see ashes coming out from all briquettes, you can start cooking.
How long do you let the charcoal burn before cooking?
Once you are aware of how to start a grill, it is equally important to know when to start cooking. We suggest the coal to be left untouched for at least ten minutes once all the charcoal gets wholly lit, and the ashes start coming up. It allows for a smooth transition of heat for a long time. Charcoal bbq set up will have to be persistent and maintained throughout the cooking process, and so the initial ten minutes are necessary. Allow sufficient airflow and keep controlling the temperature by opening and closing the vents frequently.
How do you know when a charcoal grill is ready?
Charcoal grilling is an art. It takes two or three trial and error methods to reasonably understand the process and the right time to start cooking. However, it is a common practice to confirm that the grill is ready once the coal gets entirely burnt on the edges and begin developing an orange shade throughout. This is the grilling light to be awaited for. At the brink of the coals start developing ashes, we can start cooking over.
A coal grill is a standard method to make grilled food at home that is developing these days at a faster pace. Starting charcoal fire is the real challenge. Once the right approach is found for that particular type of outdoor charcoal grill that you are using, the entire process becomes simple, and the charcoal cooking becomes a fantasy. Grilling with charcoal becomes easy once you keep practicing it frequently. Using charcoal is the best way to get the right flavor. There are two types of heating. In the direct heating method, you keep the vegetables, corn, or the meat directly on the grill. Indirectly, we can keep the food on aluminum foils or boxes to get another flavor. We have described some of the easiest and best practices that can help you with your grilling experience. However, you might have questions and several doubts at your end. Feel free to ask and share your ideas. MyKitchenAdvisor are always there to assist you!
Now that you know how to start a charcoal grill, what are you waiting for? Get one of the best products in your town, call your dearest friends, and just set the party night on fire!