Belonging to the group of cruciferous vegetables and Brassicaceae family, cauliflowers are cousins to broccoli, cabbage, and kale. Its florets are actually premature flower buds that are clustered together.
It is a superb source of Vitamin B complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K. It’s also packed with essential minerals like folate, calcium, iron, phosphorous, potassium, sodium and zinc minus the harmful effects of cholesterol. You can get your protein and a healthy dose of essential omega-3 fatty acids, unsaturated fats, and phytochemicals. Furthermore, it has lesser amounts of sugar than broccoli and its other relatives.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE
Is it possible to make it without help from a food processor? Well, yes! We’ll teach you how to shred cauliflower. We have ways how to make cauliflower rice without a food processor!
1. HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE WITHOUT A PROCESSOR:
A knife can be enough to it. First, separate the florets from the main stem using a large knife. Keep slicing until it comes down to the size of a rice grain.
2. HOW TO GRATE CAULIFLOWER
Grating cauliflower is much easier than using a knife. A cheese grater with medium holes can also be used to make it. This is less tiring than just relying on a knife. However, you should be careful not to hurt yourself when the piece of shrinks.
3. HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE – FOOD PROCESSOR
Using food processors yield success with minimum effort. First, slice the head around an inch or two to make them fit in better. Don’t fill the food processor up to the brim. Leave about ¼ space. Pulse until the size is reduced to the size of rice. If smaller sizes are achieved but larger florets are mixed in, pour it on a bowl and take out the unprocessed ones. Put them back to the processor to refine them.
4. HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE – BLENDER
Another way to make cauliflower rice without food processor is by using a blender. The florets should be the size of an inch or two before placing them inside the blender. Blend them and pause every ten seconds until they are uniformed in size. You might have to use a spatula to scrape around the blender.
DIFFERENT DISHES WITH CAULIFLOWER RICE
After learning the prep, it’s now time to learn how to cook. These recipes can be your next favorite healthy dish.
- Heat olive oil and sauté half an onion.
- Add in cauli rice and sauté it for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and enhance the flavor by adding spices or just salt and pepper.
- 2 cups cauli rice
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1/8 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/8 cup water
- 3/4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- Combine all the ingredients of the stir fry sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Sauté onions for 5 minutes until translucent and soft.
- Put in carrots, garlic broccoli, and peas. Sauté for 6 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add cauli rice and sauce. And sauté for 5 more minutes.
- You can further enhance the taste by garnishing it with sesame seeds, green onions, fresh cilantro, or whatever spice you prefer.
After preparing cauli rice, put it in a dish that is oven-proof and has a lid. Bake it for about 10 to 15 minutes at 400 degrees. The time depends on the volume. It should have softness and tenderness.
You can make more by multiplying the amount of ingredients following the same ratio.
- 2 cups cauli rice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, whole dairy milk, or unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 cup vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Saute cauli rice over medium heat for around 5 minutes. You should constantly stir it to vaporize some moisture.
- Add butter, milk, stock, and salt. Cook for 5 more minutes until thoroughly cooked.
- Using a blender, pulse the mixture until it reaches the texture of grits. It should be smooth but still grainy.
- Put the mixture back to the pan. Add cheese and cook it until cheese is melted. Add more milk to have a smoother and creamier grit. Season it to your desire.
And that’s how you make grits gluten-free. It is delicious by itself but you can make it more palatable by serving it with a savory dish.
Some people are allergic to gluten, but you can still serve a couscous using a healthier substitute.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large red apple, diced
- 1/4 cup almond, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ribs celery
- 2/3 cup of sliced onion leaves
- 1/2 cup golden
- Add water to the pan enough just to cover the bottom. Add zest, salt, and your choice of aromatic herb. Bring to simmer.
- Add cauli rice and spread it out. And bring it to simmer again.
- Turn down the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat a pan and add oil. Roast nuts until slightly brown. Add celery and cook for 2 minutes or until tender. Turn off heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and give it a good stir.
- Combine the two mixtures in a bowl before serving. You may serve it warm or cool.
- 4 cups Cauli
- 4 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped Shallots
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 1 cup Vegetable Bouillon Stock
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 4 tablespoons Parsley
- Over medium heat, use a skillet to cook shallots in olive oil until soft.
- Add cauli rice and toss to coat; add the stock and cook further for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add chopped parsley, cheese, and cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE?
You have to grate it to bits to resemble the size of the real rice. But how to grate without a grater? That’s easy! You can use your kitchen knife for the job and the result will be similar. It isn’t difficult and it’s a much healthier option.
HOW TO RICE CAULIFLOWER WITHOUT A FOOD PROCESSOR?
You can rice a cauliflower without having to buy a food processor by using common kitchen tools like a knife or a grater. Though having a food processor will make the work a lot easier.
HOW TO RICE CAULIFLOWER IN A BLENDER?
Simply cut the veggie to make it fit inside a blender. Cut around 2 inches and use pulse function. Occasionally scrape the cup to make your veggie uniform in size.
CAN YOU FREEZE CAULIFLOWER RICE?
You can even make a huge batch, divide them into smaller batches, and put them in the freezer so they are readily available. Be sure to thaw it completely before cooking.
WHAT TO DO WITH CAULIFLOWER RICE?
Once you get the hang of making cauliflower rice, you can substitute it for rice in almost all recipes that include rice as an ingredient. You can make cauliflower rice stir fry and so much more. You can also develop your own recipes using it as your main ingredient. Visit us at mykitchenadvisor.com for more healthy recipes.