- 1 Understanding Bacon Jerky
- 2 Preparing Your Bacon Jerky Like a Pro
- 3 Learn How to Make a Tasty Bacon Jerky at Home
- 4 You can Do it!
Did the bug of making bacon jerky bite you finally? Great. You are not sailing that boat alone. We have been there, and we know exactly how to get it done for a delicious bacon jerky.
This article is all you need not only for the ultimate bacon jerky recipe but also for everything you require to end up licking your fingers after a hearty bacon beef jerky.
Are you ready for a thrilling read? Let’s start this from the top.
Understanding Bacon Jerky
Don’t let the fancy name fool you; bacon jerky is simply lean meat cut in thin slices that are later dried. Salt and a range of seasoning are also added. The drying, your guess is correct, helps to preserve the meat longer. In a nutshell, bacon jerky is dried meat with salt.
Preparing Your Bacon Jerky Like a Pro
How to make bacon jerky is not rocket science. However, you have to be at your cooking A-game to achieve the best results. Anything short of that will leave a sour taste on your tongue. You definitely don’t want that happening with your homemade bacon jerky. In that regard, the few tips here should keep you on the road to a fingerling bacon jerky:
- Keeping the temperature range optimum is very critical. Your choice of equipment should achieve and retain temperature between 170F and 190F (it varies depending on what you use).
- The cooking has to be low and slow for the best results.
- You can use either a smoker or an oven. However, using an oven is easy and preferable for beginners.
- Keep by your side the best dehydrator for jerky. It is not 100% necessary, but you will need it from time to time if making bacon jerky becomes part of your life.
- Get everything ready and accessible before you begin.
Learn How to Make a Tasty Bacon Jerky at Home
Are you now ready for your homemade bacon jerky? Here is how to make one like a pro:
The preparation phase is what sets everything in motion. It is vital to get it right from the start.
Generally, here is how to prepare for making bacon jerky (it can vary slightly):
- Decide whether you are going to use a dehydrator or an oven. Using an oven is easy, but we understand that not everyone has it. In that case, a dehydrator will do, but you have to do more.
- Gather all your ingredients and requirements. They include bacon, seasonings, dry rub, brown sugar, tray, cookie sheets, and zipper bags.
- Put your bacon on the cooking sheets. Cut it into slices. Or if you want your bacon jerky ground, arrange for the best jerky gun in advance.
- Apply the dry rub.
- Season it.
- Put it in the refrigerator.
- Dry your bacon.
- Test the dryness.
- Dehydrate to satisfaction.
Making Your Bacon Jerky on a Smoker
- Step 1: Build a fire on the sides of the cooking chamber to avoid cooking the bacon jerky directly. Apple, maple, cherry, peach, and pecan woods make excellent fire.
- Step 2: Allow the temperature to reach between 190F and 200F and keep it there.
- Step 3: Place the bacon slices on the rack. Leave an inch or so between them. Place cookie sheets below the rack.
- Step 4: Leave your bacon slices to cook for 2 hours. You should flip them several times for even cooking.
- Step 5: Remove your bacon from the smoker, bloat the grease, and place the slices in a preheated oven at 200F. For a dehydrator, keep it at between 160F and 190F. Let them stay in the oven or dehydrator for 2 to 3 hours. Note: dehydrator cooks faster.
- Step 6: Remove your slices from the oven or dehydrator. Use paper towels to remove any remaining grease. Leave them to cool.
Making Bacon Jerky in a Dehydrator
Do you have the best dehydrator for jerky on your side? You can make bacon jerky in a dehydrator. The process is extremely easy. You will do everything just like with an oven, except that after the first phase you will place your bacon slices in a dehydrator. Set the temperature between 160F and 190F and let them cook for 2 to 3 hours. Flip the slices several times.
Making Bacon Jerky in the Oven
- Step 1: First, preheat your oven to 170F. Keep the oven shut while you preheat.
- Step 2: Defrost your bacon. When it is dry, go ahead and rub it by combining brown sugar, pepper, and other seasonings in a big bowl. Ensure that every part of your bacon wears adequate rub.
- Step 3: Place your rubbed bacon on an oven rack. Below it, place a metal pan to take care of the grease and juice dripping from the bacon once you start cooking. Remember to keep the bacon edges one inch away from each other.
- Step 4: Now, your bacon jerky is ready for cooking. For your choice, it can be beef or turkey bacon jerky.
- Step 5: Typically, it takes 3 hours for your delicacy to get ready. However, it depends on the thickness of your bacon. To be on the safe side, keep checking the status after one hour, and flip the sides each time you check.
- Step 6: When your bacon is ready, take it out and leave to cool for 15 minutes. It is ready for you.
How to Store Your Bacon Jerky Correctly
You can make your jerky, store some for later, and beat the trouble of making them every time. After making sure no more grease on your jerks, put not more than 4 ounces of the goodness in zipper bags. Seal and put them in a cold dark place. Alternatively, put them in a vacuum food sealer and lock it.
You can Do it!
Are you feeling like eating candied bacon jerky, or is it homemade deer jerky? Say your wish, and you can make it come true. Now you are an expert in making bacon jerky and know how to store some for later. Nothing is in your way now to a sizzling and delicious bacon jerky every time you feel like it.