- 1 Why Does a Silicone Mat Get Dirty So Easily?
- 2 Quick Tips to Clean Silicone Baking Mats
- 3 Do’s and Don’ts While Cleaning Silicone Baking Mats
- 4 Conclusion
Something that is used most commonly while baking is silicone baking mats. These mats keep your bakeware clean. Their biggest advantage is their non-toxic nature. Even when placed at high temperatures, they do not release harmful gases or react to produce a harmful compound.
In the meantime, they endure all the burnt oil, grains, meat, and every other baking ingredient. You must have wondered how to clean silicone baking mats without damaging them.
So, here we have easy steps in which you can easily get rid of all the grease and grime.
Why Does a Silicone Mat Get Dirty So Easily?
You must have asked yourself a hundred times, why does my baking mat keep getting greasy? See, the natural state of silicon is a bit rubbery and sticky. When you place a silicon mat inside the oven, the molecules expand. In the meantime, the food particles and oil seeps into these spaces.
These render it a constant greasy touch. As a result, the food particles stick to the surface. The oil that is used for seasoning also makes a thin film over the mat. While it is perfectly fine to bake on that, it may make you feel uncomfortable. So, the best option is to clean the grime ASAP.
Quick Tips to Clean Silicone Baking Mats
A clean baking mat makes baking more enjoyable. If you have wondered what is the best way to have a clean and grease-free cooking mat? We have compiled a list of tried and tested methods to clean silicone baking mats.
Most users have used these methods on Silpat silicone baking mats. So you can be sure of the effectiveness of the method.
Let us have a look at how to clean a baking sheet in different ways:
Method 1: Use Oven
Yes! You can use an oven to get rid of all the grease and grime on the baking mat in the oven.
- Simply put it in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. The high temperature will expand the silicone molecules.
- Keep a tub of hot water ready with a cup of white vinegar.
- Take out the baking mat and put it in the tub. The acid molecules from the vinegar will extract out the oil particles.
- You will get a shining and grease-free baking mat back!
Method 2: The Humble Baking Soda Paste
If there is one ingredient that always saves the day while cleaning, it is baking soda.
- Make a thick paste of baking soda and warm water.
- Apply it generously on the mat.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes depending on the level of stickiness.
- Wash it off.
- Voila! Your mat looks and feels like new.
Method 3: Scrub, Scrub, Scrub
Scrubbing is the most primitive yet most effective way to get rid of food residues.
- You can use hot water for best results.
- Pair it with dish soap or detergent powder or tough oven degreaser.
- Be sure to use a soft sponge. Steel wool will damage the mat.
Method 4: Let’s Try Lemons!
- Lemons are natural degreasers.
- Generously pour lemon juice over the mat.
- Scrub out the dirt. Wash with warm water.
- You have a fresh-smelling clean baking mat with you.
Method 5: Did We Forget the Dishwasher?
Oh, yes! Dishwashers come to rescue here also.
- Silicone baking mats are dishwasher friendly.
- So, the best way to have a clean mat 24×7 is to pop it into the dishwasher as soon as you take it out of the oven.
Do’s and Don’ts While Cleaning Silicone Baking Mats
- Always go for reputed brands of silicone baking mats. The most sought after is Silpat silicone baking mats.
- Never buy cheap products. They may contain plastic that is a health hazard.
- Look for FDA approval when buying a silicone baking mat.
- Never place the baking mat directly on the grill.
- Always spread the mat evenly on the baking pan with the writing side up.
- Never cut the mats. Silicone mats are made from fiberglass fibers. Cutting them damages the mat.
- Always clean them straight after the use.
- Never use steel wool or sandpaper for removing grease. Always use a soft sponge.
- Store the mat by rolling it inside a tube or by laying it flat. Do not twist or fold it.
Silicone baking mats make baking easy and healthy too. As these mats are non-stick, you can even go for oil-free recipes. No need to scrape out the baked product. Everything comes out smoothly.
Keeping it clean may pose a challenge for some. We hope our guide will help you with that. Let us know if you know of more methods. Happy baking!