- 1 Briefly About Brands
- 2 GMG vs Traeger: Head to Head Comparison
- 3 Popular GMG Models
- 4 Popular Traeger Models
- 5 Other Brands to Consider
- 6 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Briefly About Brands
Green Mountain Grills
GMG or The Green Mountain Grill has been on the field for quite some time. The company became a worthy contender after starting the whole idea of wifi accessibility for pellet grills. In fact, they incorporated this feature in three of their top grills from the very beginning. However, GMG likes to concentrate on its dealer network, so it might be difficult for you to find this brand online.
Traeger was the first company that came up with the idea of pellet grills. This company was launched in the 1980s by Joe Traeger. The invention soon became a hit, and for the next 20 years, Traeger enjoyed a complete monopoly in this market. Today, Traeger is one of the largest manufacturers of pellet grills globally and sells products worth $300 million every year.
GMG vs Traeger: Head to Head Comparison
Given below is a detailed comparison Green Mountain Grill vs Traeger grill concerning their features :
The size depends upon a buyer’s requirement. Depending upon your purpose, you can either go for a Green Mountain or Traeger grill.
Traeger Grills: You can easily go for Traeger if you plan to serve a large gathering of people. It has a large cooking space of 600-square inches that allows you to smoke or grill food items simultaneously. Some products have inbuilt grates that prevent food items from falling through.
Green Mountain Grills: Most GMG grills are suitable for personal use or tailgating because of its small size. You can use it before a big game to brush up on your cooking skills. It is compact enough for you to carry it during a hunting or camping trip. However, it still has a sufficiently large cooking space of 200-square inches.
Green Mountain Grills: It has a digital display that allows you to check the temperature of the grill. The temperature range starts at 150 degrees Fahrenheit and goes up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Traeger Grills: It offers an LED display for temperature control. However, it has a smaller temperature range that can go up to a maximum of 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Green Mountain Grills
- Fueled by good quality food-safe wood pellets.
- Fueled by good quality pure hardwood pellets
Green Mountain Grills
- All GMG products have legs that fold up and down.
- This provides maximum support to the grill or acts as handles.
- It has four legs on the bottom for enhanced stability.
- Additionally, it also has two extra legs with wheels for better mobility.
Green Mountain Grills
- Mobility is one of the prime features of most GMG products. For example, The GMG Davy Crockett.
- It also has a small and compact pellet grill for consumers, but the design is not good enough to beat its competitors.
Ease of Use
Green Mountain Grills
- It has wifi enabled grilling system that you can even operate with your phone. It also offers has remote temperature-control setting and timer options.
- Traeger grills are more traditional and require much more manual operation. Since there is no timer, you must keep a sharp eye out for your food while it’s being cooked.
Extra Features Included
Green Mountain Grills
Almost all GMG products incorporate the following features:
- GMG offers an affordable pellet grill with WiFi-accessibility.
- Digital Controller.
- Good quality ash-removal system.
- In case of Traeger Grills, the features depend solely upon the price. The more expensive ones have top quality features, and the cheaper ones have limited control and cleaning system.
- Until 2019, GMG was the only company that offered WiFi-enabled products.
- According to most Green Mountain Grill reviews, it is less expensive than similar Traeger models.
- Traeger provides a large variety of grills in different sizes and forms.
- All Traeger models can be found online, but GMC favors dealer network.
- Both Green Mountain vs Traeger grant a 3-year warranty period for their products.
Popular GMG Models
- Best selling model among all Green Mountain Pellet Grill vs Traeger grill.
- Large cooking space that measures up to 458 square inches
- The 13.5 inches of headroom is big enough to cook a whole turkey.
- It is one of the best pellet grill with maximum portability.
- Sturdy, long-lasting with an excellent built-quality
- The digital thermostatic controller allows you to have precise temperature control.
- Also known as the Big Daddy of the GMG family
- Huge cooking space that measures up to 658 square inches
- The rest of the characteristics are similar to Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone.
Popular Traeger Models
- Most portable Traeger grill that can compete with Davy Crockett;
- The cooking space measures up to 300 sq inches;
- Unlike Davy Crockett, it does not have too many advanced features.
- Arc Controller with Advanced Grilling Logic
- 5-Degree Temp Setting Increments
- Meat Probe
- Power Source Type: Electric And Woodburning
- Max temperature: 450, Total cooking space: 300 Sq. In, Pellet hopper capacity: 8 Lbs
Traeger Pro series:
- It is available in two different sizes;
- It includes wifi connectivity;
- Depending on size, it stands between Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie in terms of price.
- Traeger created the original wood-pellet grill as the ultimate way to achieve wood-fired taste | The Pro 575 takes it to the next level with precise temperature control | Pellets not included
- Product dimensions – 41" W x 27" D x 53" H | Weight – 124 lbs. | Max temperature reach – 500° F | Power cord length – 6’ | Cooking area size – 575 sq. in. | Peller Hooper capacity - 18 lbs.
- The Pro 575 pellet grill offers 6-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and BBQ all on the same grill. The Porcelain grill grates makes clean up a breeze
- WiFIRE technology connects your grill to home WiFi and the Traeger app allows the user to control the grill from anywhere | Alexa technology allows you to do it all by voice
- The Traeger Pro Series is the best-selling pellet grill | The upgraded Pro 575 with D2 drivetrain starts quicker, heats up faster, and puts out better quality smoke | The built-in meat probe allows you to cook to perfection
Traeger Ironwood Series:
- It offers larger sizes and more advanced features like TRU convection and DownDraft Exhaust;
- The Super Smoke mode allows you to ramp up the smoke;
- It is one of the best Traeger vs GMG grill available in the market.
- NEVER USE GAS OR CHARCOAL AGAIN: Traeger created the original wood-pellet grill as the ultimate way to achieve wood-fired taste. The Ironwood 650 takes it to the next level with precise temperature control
- CONNECTED HOME TECHNOLOGY: WiFIRE technology connects your grill to home WiFi and the Traeger app allows the user to control the grill from anywhere. Alexa technology allows you to do it all by voice
- VERSATILE BARBECUE COOKING: The Ironwood 650 pellet grill offers 6-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and BBQ all on the same grill. The Porcelain grill grates makes clean up a breeze
- GRILL IN ANY WEATHER: The double side-wall insulation improves temperature consistency and pellet efficency in cold weather. The Ironwood series also has a built in pellet sensor, which monitors pellet levels remotely through the Traeger app
- THE MARKET LEADER IN PELLET GRILLS: The new Ironwood with D2 drivetrain starts quicker, heats up faster, and puts out better quality smoke. The digital meat probe ensures your food is cooked to perfection every time
Traeger Timberline series:
- It is the largest and priciest option offered by Traeger;
- It has all the features of Ironwood;
- Additionally, it has futuristic pellet sensing technology that you can monitor through an app.
Other Brands to Consider
Apart from Green Mountain Grill vs Traeger, here are some other brands that you can check out:
Z Grills is a tempting option for people who want to avoid the Traeger vs Green Mountain Grill debate. This company has been selling pellet grills for quite a long time. Rumors state that Z Grills initially was a company working under Traeger. The most popular model sold by them is Z Grills 7002. It has several enhanced features and an advanced temperature controller.
- ULTIMATE 8-IN-1 (Cover included): Barbecue wood fire pellet grill: bbqbakeroastbraisesmokegrillsearchar-grill
- Pellet Grill Technology: There isn't an easier way to get wood-smoked flavors than with a pellet grill. Try it, and you'll taste the difference from a GAS or CHARCOAL grill
- Set the Temperature, Relax, and Enjoy: Z Grills pellet grills will do all the work for you once you set the temperature. No labor-intensive start-up. No babysitting the grill. Enjoy the cooking!
- Consistent Results Every Time: The PID technology holds the tightest temperature possible throughout your cooking for consistent results.
- Smoke, Grill, and Everything in Between: With its 180° to 450° F temperature range, this pellet grill has 8-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, bake, roast, sear, braise, barbecue, and char-grill with incredible hardwood flavor.
Camp Chef is at the same level as GMG in terms of quality and price. The PG 24 Deluxe is one of their best models, but it does not have Wifi connectivity. All Camp Chef grills are suitable for grilling, searing, roasting, etc. It has an additional sear box that allows you to engage in cooking techniques simultaneously.
- SLIDE AND GRILL- grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and barbecue with Premium wood-fired flavor on a single grill. Digital control, best of both Worlds, use the meat probe to check the internal temperature or toggle the grill temp with the push of a button
- NEW PID CONTROLLER- Gen 2 PID Controller 1-10 Smoke Setting (Not WIFI Compatible)
- EASY ASH CLEANOUT- cleaning between cooks is as easy as pulling a lever, thanks to the exclusive ash cleanout system You won’t find on any other grill. That means less time wrestling with the vacuum and more time enjoying heavenly food
- EASY ASSEMBLY and start up- check out the walk-through assembly video on camp chef site, so you can get cooking right away. In just a few minutes, you’ll be ready to load up the grill with whole chickens, Brisket, ribs, jerky, & more
- FOLDING FRONT SHELF- comes with full sized folding shelf PGFS24 $74 MSRP
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Although GMG and Traeger stand out in their own ways, GMG products can prove to be a better choice for personal use. It also includes advanced tech and an affordable price range. However, if you are looking for stability and durability, it’s best to go for Traeger.
Always go through the available Green Mountain Grill vs Traeger reviews before buying a new product.