- 1 What is a Pressure Cooker?
- 2 What are the Disadvantages of Pressure Cooking?
- 3 Accidents with Pressure Cooker
- 4 Useful Effects of Pressure Cooker
- 5 Final Thoughts
A pressure cooker has been an essential part of cooking for a long time. But did you know that pressure cookers have some negative effects on your health as well? As much as helpful it is, there are some disadvantages to using a pressure cooker. Here, we have listed the disadvantages of pressure cooking as well as some of its benefits. Stay tuned to find out all the pros and cons of a pressure cooker.
What is a Pressure Cooker?
In the 1600s, Denis Papin, a Frenchman, invented the Pressure Cooker. He named his new invention, ‘digestor.’ It is simply a sealed pot with a lot of steam inside. This builds up high pressure inside the pot, due to which food gets cooked faster.
Working Mechanism of Pressure Cooker
A pressure cooker is a sealed pot that has a valve to control the steam pressure inside it. No matter what kind of food you are cooking, be it meat or vegetables, it contains water. So when the pot heats up, it converts the liquid into steam, which leads to an increase in pressure. Two possible situations can take place:
- When you are cooking watery items like stew or steam veggies in this equipment the heat of the item is limited to the boiling point of water. But due to the extra pressure built up inside the pot, the boiling point of water rises. This helps to get the food cooked much faster than usual.
- When you are cooking meat and fish in the pot, it forces liquid and moisture inside the food due to the high pressure. This makes your food very tender and cooks it in much less time.
What are the Disadvantages of Pressure Cooking?
Along with many benefits, there are few disadvantages of using pressure cooking too.
Cannot Monitor the food during the cooking process
If you cannot keep an eye on the doneness, then how are you supposed to know if the food is ready or not? Well, this is one of the major drawbacks of using a pressure cooker. As it is cooked inside a sealed pot, you cannot check the food during cooking. So the results might not turn out as you desired it to be.
You can easily overcook items
If you are cooking veggies or meat, and you do not track the time properly chances are your food will be overcooked. Due to the pressure inside the pot, the food is more likely to get ready faster. It is very important to be alert while you’re using this cooking equipment.
Cannot check the taste of the food while cooking
One of the biggest disadvantages of pressure cooking is that you cannot test the taste of the food while cooking. When you cook in a pan or a vessel, it is easy to check the taste and add salt and other spices accordingly. But the same cannot be done with a pressure cooker.
Different food items present inside a pressure cooker does not get coked at the same time
When you cook a meal, there are vegetables, meats, and sometimes even fruits. But you cannot expect all of them to get properly tender and ready at the same time. All of those items take different times. In a pressure cooker, many times, it happens so that one or more items remain undercooked or overcooked. And then you would have to put extra effect into cooking them separately.
Toxic materials present in the metal pot of the pressure cooker
Did you know that your pressure cooker contains aluminum and stainless steel, which are highly reactive? When food is cooked inside this, they leach and reach with the food items in cooking temperate. Regular intake of this kind of food can lead to the accumulation of toxins in your tissues, organs, and blood. This, in turn will weaken the immune system, making your body more prone to sickness and can even lead to life-threatening diseases.
Accidents with Pressure Cooker
Are pressure cooker dangerous? It might be if you don’t use it correctly. If the cooker is not made properly a massive explosion can take place due to the pressure built up inside the pot.
Injuries Associated With Pressure Cooker
There are many dangers related to a pressure cooker. Below, I have listed a few injuries with a pressure cooker:
- Burn Injuries – Pressure cookers can cause second-degree burns, which might lead to infection or amputation.
- Spills and Explosions – This usually happens when the pot is overfilled, or the lid is opened too soon. Instant pot explosion can happen.
Case Overview of Pressure Cooker Accidents
Pressure Cooker Accident Statistics are quite high. Below I’ve listed a few accidents related to a pressure cooker.
|September 2019||A woman was blinded in her left eye after her pressure cooker exploded. The metal whistle hit her in the face.|
|January 2019||A 9-year-old boy and his grandmother got severely burned in a pressure cooker explosion in Oklahoma.|
|October 2018||A 2-year-old boy from Idaho got severely burned in a pressure cooker explosion. Over 14% of his body got burned.|
|June 2018||A 2-year-old girl, along with her nanny, got severe injuries from a pressure cooker explosion.|
|April 2018||A make-up artist got 2nd degree burns on her face after the explosion.|
Safety Aspects of Pressure Cooker
Are pressure cookers safe? Yes! If it is used and maintained properly, they can be really useful. To maintain pressure cooker safety, the following measure should be taken:
- The safety valve and regulator should be fully functional.
- The pot should never be overfilled otherwise the regulator and the valve can get blocked.
- Pots made from aluminum should never be washed with soda or sharp items as it might enter the food late while cooking. This can cause diseases.
Useful Effects of Pressure Cooker
Below I have listed some of the benefits of a Pressure cooker:
- Pressure cooking is the best for preserving ascorbic acid and beta-carotene in spinach and amaranth.
- Another research proves that pressure cooking preserves 90% vitamin C in broccoli while steaming can preserve up to 70% only.
We hope this article on the disadvantages of pressure cooking was helpful to you. Now you can decide for yourself – pressure cooker vs air fryer – which is the better option for you. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask in the comment section below.