Top 10 Best Chef Knives Under 50: Comparison Chart
Top Quality Materials
Best Overall: Victorinox Fibrox Pro Review
Victorinox Fibrox Pro
- For home chefs & professionals. This Fibro Pro chef's knife has been the top choice of both home chefs and professionals alike. Expertly crafted with a tapered stainless steel edge that cuts with ease and efficiency.
- Fit for all tasks. Designed to handle kitchen tasks both big and small, This durable knife's razor sharp and laser-tested blade effortlessly chops, minces, slices and dices. An essential for every kitchen.
- Easy handling. Each knife features an ergonomic handle made from thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) for a non-slip grip - even when wet. This exceptional knife is weighted and balanced for easy handling.
- Knife Dimensions. Blade made out of stainless steel material - 7. 9 inches in length. Made with dishwasher safe materials for an easy clean.
- Trusted Swiss quality. Expertly crafted in Switzerland in 1884, Victorinox provides a lifetime against defects in material and workmanship. Making a Lifetime commitment has never been so easy.
Santoprene Handle: Mercer Culinary Review
- Santoprene handle for comfort and safe grip, NSF certified
- High carbon forged steel from Soligen, Germany. Stain-resistant x50 Cr Mo V15 resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration. Full tang that runs the entire length of the handle for superior balance.
- Taper-ground edge allows for added stability, easy honing, long lasting sharpness, and increased efficiency when cutting and chopping
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Hand wash knives for blade edge and surface care
German HC Stainless Steel: Imarku Review
- PROFESSIONAL SANTOKU KNIFE: This imarku Super Sharp Santoku Knife is made of German HC stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration. It can be used for your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, dicing, and mincing of all kinds of meat, vegetables, fruits, and bread. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- ULTRA-SHARP EDGE: Sharpness is key. The professional knife blade polishing makes this Japanese knife be more sharper than others, and it has been proven its ability to withstand the rigors of tough restaurant use. The thickness of this kitchen knife is 2.5mm. Its hand-polished edge is 15-18 degrees per side, which is sturdy and sharp to get the job done perfectly.
- Hollow edge design: The 7-inch santoku chef knife scalloped hollow edge is add gap between the knife blade and the material being cut, keeping things from sticking to the knife blade, special for slicing, dicing, and mincing.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The Pakkawood handle minimizes wrist tension while providing a secure, comfortable grip no matter your hand size or where you grip. Even after prolonged use, your palm and wrist will not fatigue. Ideal for both people who cook frequently and those who just like preparing snacks.
- THE PERFECT GIFT: The knife comes in a high-quality black gift box, making it the perfect gift for whoever you love.
Super Sharp: MOSFiATA Review
- 【8 Inch Chef's Knife】: This MOSFiATA 8 Inch Chef Knife is made of high-quality German stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration. It can be used for your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, dicing and mincing of all kinds of meat, vegetables, fruits and bread. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- 【Sharp Edge & 14~16° Sharpening Angle】: Sharpness is key. Hand-polished by craftsmen with decades of experience to ensure its durability. The thickness of this kitchen knife is 2.5mm. Its hand-polished edge is 14-16 degrees per side, which is sturdy and sharp to get the job done perfectly. Rockwell hardness: 56 ± 2 HRC.
- 【Sturdy Ergonomic Design & Micarta Handle】: The solid Micarta handle minimizes wrist tension while providing a secure, comfortable grip no matter your hand size or where you grip. Even after prolonged use, your palm and wrist will not fatigue. Ideal for both people who cook frequently and those who just like preparing snacks. The durability and reliability of the kitchen knife are secured by the triple rivet design that attaches the handle firmly onto the blade
- 【Chef Knife, Finger Guard, Blade Guard and Sharpener Included】: Protect your fingers and keep your knife sharp with the other three items in the box. Tips: To use the sharpener as very simple, you could also find some video tutorial on any video site by search “How to use a sharpener”.
- 【Perfect as Gift】: The knife comes in a high-quality black gift box, making it the perfect gift for a mother, father, grandparent or friend. Plus, with the knife sheath, young children and other family members will be protected from injury. Note: it is not Damascus steel.
Anti-tarnish Blade: Imarku Pro Review
- High-carbon stainless steel blade-It is manufactured from high-quality stainless steel that maintains its functionality for a long time. And to boost its sturdiness, the steel contains 0.6-0.75 carbon. This makes it two times as hard as other knives in its class as they contain about 0.3% carbon
- Multi-functional knife-The gyutou knife is classified and designed to be multipurpose knife for professional applications .It cuts,dices,slices,chops and also cuts meat off bones. It comes with a HRC( Rockwell Hardness Scale) of 56-58 which makes it among the tough knives in its class
- Ergonomic pakka handle-To make it more professional and minimize any fatigue, finger numbness or aches after holding it continuously for an extended time the knife's handle is made from Pakka. This is material that originates from Africa and its known for its comfort, strength and stability
- Ultra-sharp edge-Sharpness is key to achieving the best cuts and this is evident in the knife's blade which is quite sharp and will remain this way even after tough tasks such as cutting tough meat or removing flesh from bones. The sharpness is further boosted by use of the latest German engineering
- Corrosion and stainless blade-In addition to carbon, 16-18% chrome is also included in the blade's metal composition. This gives its a glossy finish which will not tarnish even after using it for a long time, making it the perfect gift for mother's day, father's day, wedding and birthday
Suitable for All Cutting Tasks: SHAN ZU Pro Review
SHAN ZU Pro
- PERFECT FOR ALL CUTTING TASKS:It is designed to be suitable for various cutting applications,It’s maneuverable enough to chop mint leaves, slice carrots, and peel butternut squash, offering clean cuts without requiring perfect form，prevent food from sticking to the blade.
- HIGH CARBON GERMAN STEEL:Precisely forged by top quality High Carbon German Steel,5Cr15MoV,this blade consists of approximately 0.5% carbon and 15% chrome material,it comes with a HRC ( Rockwell Hardness Scale) of 55-57 which makes it wear resistance, durability,rust and stain resistance,etc
- DOUBLE SIDED CUTTING EDGE,ULTRA-SHARP: Double sided cutting edge, both right and left hands are applicable.15°angle per side, hand polished over 60 days by seasoned craftsman for smooth and efficient cuts.Our every knife is cooled by Nitrogen for enhanced hardness, flexibility and corrosion resistance to help you make your best cut.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN WOOD HANDLE: The handle is made from Pakka wood,which originates from Africa and it is known for its comfort,strength and stability.The curve of the handle fits into the curve of your fingers as you grip the knife,prevent to slide from your hand and less fatigue.
- PRACTICAL PERFECT GIFT: A nice gift for housewife,househusband and who enjoying cooking in the kitchen.A high quality sharp knife is the Most Important Kitchen Tool for cooking.Everyone need this pro chef knife to cut a tomato.
Octagon Handle: Findking Review
- DYNASTY SERIES BLADE QUALITY - Findking’s dynasty series uses 9CR18MOV. A great steel for the everyday use of any chef. With an HRC of 60+/-2 it will take an angled edge and hold it for long enough to help extend the life of your knife (w/ general maintenance). The clad dimple allow for easy food release while slicing or dicing. This blade is great for vegetables, fruits, fish, and meats. Please refrain from cutting frozen products as this may detriment the knife's edge.
- DYNASTY SERIES HANDLE - is crafted from African rosewood, and is a great compliment to the beauty and comfort to the knife user. The stability of the handle allows the user full manipulation of the blade. This makes for effective use for precision, and endurance cuts. This handle makes mis en plas (food prep) FUN again
- WEIGHT/BALANCE- The balance point runs heel to spine up the billet. Allowing the user a comfortable grip with precise cuts, and less wear and tear on the users hands. The weight is towards the blade of the knife making for efficient use during rock chopping motion
- DESIGN- Dynasty series chef knives are designed to show the beauty of eastern chef’s knives. While focusing on comfortability, and efficiency for the everyday chef. Blade length is 21cm and handle length is 15.5 cm with an overall length of 36.5cm. When a pinch grip is used the blade length is considered “true 8” inch” where the user will be able to maximize maneuverability of the blades cutting edge
- OUR PROMISE- Quality is a massive focus of Findking’s products. As a promise to our customers, price will not be affected by our strive for the highest quality in our products.
Ergonomically Designed: ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W Review
- High quality 67-layer Damascus steel for precision, beauty, and strength.
- Handmade, HRC 62 Rockwell hardness, 100% Quality Control.
- 12 Degrees super razor sharp edge, the sharpness can keep more than 6 months.
- Ergonomically designed rounded PAKKA WOOD Handle to prevent slip and create comfortable holding.
- The knife come with a black gift box, very suitable as a gift to mom, wife or friends.
Full Tang: Cutluxe Review
- UNPARALLELED PERFORMANCE – Perfectly balanced multipurpose 8 inch chef knife tapered to a razor-sharp edge for effortless slicing, chopping, mincing, and dicing of fruit, vegetables, meat and more.
- PREMIUM GERMAN STEEL – Precisely forged of high-carbon German steel engineered to perfection at 56+ Rockwell hardness for long lasting performance, rust and stain resistant.
- FULL TANG ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Luxury pakkawood handle that is triple-riveted for sure grip and absolute stability that ensures comfort and maneuverability. Laminated and polished for a sanitary build, perfect for busy kitchens.
- RAZOR-SHARP BLADE EDGE – Hand sharpened edge at 14-16 degrees per side for maximum sharpness & edge retention ensuring precision slicing every time.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - We’re proud to say we believe in our blades. Your Cutluxe chef knife comes with lifetime warranty against material or workmanship defects, purchase without risk.
No Easy to Blunt: Homgeek Review
- Product Include Contain 7" Santoku Knife and 8" Chef Knife,meet the cutting needs of every family
- Never Rust Our knife is made from the German 1.4116 stainless steel,it contain 15% chromium that is trace element,due to this knife has high chromium content,so it has excellent corrosion and oxidation resistance.
- Suprior Sharp Whether the knife is sharp, related to materials and forging,our knife blade is forged with hand-polished edges at 14-16 degrees per side,stain resistant and precise tempering,that is why our knife is sharper that other knife.
- No Easy to Blunt Whether the knife will be blunted , depending on the material's hardness . Our knife is made from German 1.4116 stainless steel whose hardness is above HRC57,so our knife isn't easy blunt.
- Comfortable Hold Ergonomic handle is made of PAKKA wood which is comfort, sturdiness and durability,even if you holding knife for a long time.
What is Chef's Knife?
You have probably heard a lot of times about it, but do you know what a chef knife is? It is also known as the cook’s knife, and it is considered to be the highest quality piece of cutlery used to prepare food. Initially, they have been created to cut fine slices of beef. Nowadays, they are seen as multi-purpose knives as you can use them to cut meat, fruit and vegetables, bread, etc. Let’s see some vital aspects of the best value chef knife.
- The handle needs to be ergonomic.
- The bolster is essential because it is what makes the knife durable and stable.
- The heel needs to be wide and dense.
- The blade needs to be sharp from the moment you start using the knife.
What is a Chef’s Knife Used For?
As we already mentioned chef knife under 50 is a multi-purpose tool, which can be used for various things. Because of that, it is becoming a commonly seen product in a lot of American households. Here are some examples of what this affordable chef knife can do.
- Excellent for small tasks like chopping herbs, mincing garlic, etc.
- Great for slicing ham, dicing onions, cutting chicken.
- Excellent for carving the turkey.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Knife for a Chef
||Sometimes it can be too heavy
||Some can be more expensive
What to Look for in Budget Chef Knife?
Types of Chef Knives
A Japanese chef knife is called Gyutou, and it is in all aspects equivalent to what we in Europe call a chef’s knife. In Japanese “gyutou” means beef knife. However, you can use it to cut other foods as well.
They are typically lighter and thinner than European made knives. They are also made of more rigid steel and thus hold a better edge. Gyutou knives are better for precise tasks.
German knives are recognizable because they are usually curved more profoundly and continuously along the blade. They typically have a thick and wide blade. They also come with a bolster.
Because they are thicker, German-style knives are also heavier than their Japanese counterparts. German blades also contain less carbon steel, so they are softer and don’t need to be sharpened too often.
Type of Blade
When a blade of the best budget chef knife is forged, it means that it is made from a single piece of steel. The steel is usually heated first and then pounded with a hammer to create a shape. It is usually done by outstanding craftsman, but are also seeing more of models made by machine. It is characteristic of this type of knife to come with a bolster and a full or partial tang.
A one piece of steel is used for this type of cheap chef knives as well. The difference is that during the stamping process, the steel is cut with a machine. After that, this piece is honed and treated with heat, so it becomes more durable.
Undoubtedly the quality of the blade is the most critical factor that you need to consider when you are choosing a chef knife under 50. That said, you need to pay attention to blade material, and when it comes to the best knife under 50, there are several options – Stainless steel, Damascus steel, Carbon steel, High carbon stainless steel, Ceramic, etc.
Thickness and Sharpening Angle
For example, we already mentioned that German models are thicker and thus heavier than Japanese models. Also, what you need to pay attention to is the sharpening angle. For many Western knives sharpening angle is 20 – 22 degrees, and for Asian models it is about 15 degrees.
Type of Tang
It plays a role in determining the cost, but also the performance of the knife. When you have a full tang knife, a blade usually extends to the handle. This type of knife is bulkier than the one with partial tang, and thus it is more balanced.
Handle Material & Shape
The handle is important because it provides protection and grip. In the past, people were making wooden handles. Since wood is not the safest options because it can become suitable to growth of bacteria, it is replaced with metal, plastic, and, as of recent, rubber.
The most important thing here is that the handle fits well in your hand. Size mainly varies between five and 9 inches. You need to choose one that will accommodate the size of your hands.
How to Hold a Chef Knife?
When you are using the best chef knife under 50, you must know what the proper way to hold it is. Your index finger and thumb need to be opposite each other on both sides of the blade. Keep in mind that you are mainly holding the knife with your thumb and first finger.
Caring for Your Chef’s Knife on a Budget
Although we presented affordable chef knife reviews to you, you should still do whatever is in your power to keep them as long as possible. You must sharpen the knives regularly, but not too often. It is also vital that the sharpener is stronger than the knife blade – a diamond sharpener can be a good option. When it comes to honing, however, you need to do it often and with a material that is as strong as the blade of your knife – for example, a steel honing rod.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2021
Here we are at the end of our journey to discover the best chef knife under 50 in 2021! As you can see, there are plenty of features that you need to consider when choosing this type of knife. However, when you collect all the information, you are perfectly equipped to start shopping. We mentioned here German and Japanese knives – in our opinion, they are both goods in their way, and we believe that it is not possible to make a mistake whichever type you choose.