We have to admit we are real coffee aficionados. Sometimes it feels like we always were, even as kids. Growing up in a bi-racial family with Indian heritage, we drank a lot of tea when we were young. But for some reason, we weren't too happy about it. Now you may think, "But what is there not to be happy about? It is a beverage that offers so many varieties and flavors, etc., that it can suit everybody's taste!" And you would be right! Not only do we have black, green, white, yellow, but there are also many herbal tea options. So how can you say: “I don’t like tea?”
Well, it may be confusing for some of you, but we managed to keep saying it for many years. And then, what changed? We discovered the magic of best mate tea!
Finally, after years of continually working, we wanted to do something wonderful and adventurous for our pleasure! So we decided to back almost everything we own and go on a backpacking tour through Latin America.
We tried the best food in those countries, and the best drinks. And among the best, the first place on our list went to best yerba mate. As surprising as it sounds, it is true this tea conquered our hearts. Of course, there are other excellent beverages, and many of them are alcoholic drinks. And of course, we enjoyed them too. But there was something unexplainable about yerba mate taste that made us change our mind when it comes to tea altogether. Some of you may have heard about this beverage. Maybe you even tried it! In that case, it would be nice to know your opinions. But many people have no clue what it is, do they? That is why we decided to create these yerba mate reviews to help you understand what it is and help them make the best choices when it comes to the best yerba mate brand.
Top 10 Best Yerba Mate Products: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Rosamonte Especial Yerba Mate Review
Great Taste: Cruz de Malta Yerba Mate Review
Cruz de Malta
- The package length of the product is 9. inches
- The package width of the product is 6. inches
- The package height of the product is 3. inches
- Country of origin is United States
Best Yerba Mate Without Stems: Canarias Yerba Mate Review
- Canarias Yerba Mate 1 Kilo Bags (2-pack)
Great Unsmoked Yerba Mate: ECOTEAS Yerba Mate Tea Review
- 100% YERBA MATE UNSMOKED - Unwrapped organic yerba mate tea bags create minimal packaging and waste. Our own organic family farm offers an exclusive smoke-free 2-stage organic yerba mate drying process. Our organic mate is ecologically mindful.
- SIMPLE BREW MATE - Use one tea bag per one cup of water. Take ECOTEAS with you wherever you go! Whether you're travelling or need an energy boost at work, these yerba mate tea bags are conveniently packaged for on the go lifestyles.
- SUPPORTS WEIGHT LOSS - Yerba mate is an excellent weight loss tea that boosts metabolism, reduces appetite & burns calories. Try this organic detox tea to help cleanse your body from toxins.
- NATURALLY CAFFEINATED ENERGIZING TEA - ECOTEAS Yerba mate tea bags can help reduce coffee intake with its low-acid, jitter-free, long-lasting energy effect. Fuel your day naturally with this yerba mate tea!
- SUPPORT SUSTAINABILITY - ECOTEAS yerba mate is Kosher, Fair Trade, Non-GMO, & Gluten-Free and certified organic tea. ECOTEAS was born of the belief to restore balance to the earth and our bodies. Support sustainability with yerba mate tea!
Top Yerba Mate Tea Bags: Buddha Teas Yerba Mate Tea Review
- Health Benefits: Buddha Teas Buddha Teas Yerba Mate Tea contains 196 active compounds. It also high amount of Vitamin B1,B2, B3 and B5.
- Origin: Buddha Teas Buddha Teas Yerba Mate Tea is sourced From Brazil
- Vitamin Rich: Buddha Teas Buddha Teas Yerba Mate Tea is a great source of Antioxidants, Flavonoids, Vitamins A, C and minerals such as potassium, manganese, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, calcium pantothenate, selenium, and silicon.
- Steeping Instructions: To enjoy a delicious cup of Buddha Teas Buddha Teas Yerba Mate Tea, use 1 bleach-free tea bag per cup of water heated to about 205°. Cover and steep for 3-6 minutes. Remove tea bag and enjoy!
- Buddha Teas: Crafted without additives, using only organic or wild-harvested ingredients, we believe in living harmoniously with nature, not using it for profit. Our boxes are 100% recycled material, making our teas good for the earth and you! Contains Caffeine, Certified Kosher, Organic, GMO-Free, Gluten-Free
Best Yerba Mate Can: Guayaki Yerba Mate Review
- Includes twelve (12) 15.5 ounce cans of Guayaki Yerba Mate ready-to-drink Bluephoria flavor, 150mg caffeine
- High Energy Infusion: The strength of coffee, the health benefits of tea, and the euphoria of chocolate
- Bluephoria provides a euphoric burst of blueberry, elderberry, and yerba mate
- Every time you purchase Guayakí Yerba Mate, you're driving real change because the regeneration of people and planet is integrated into our business model.
- USDA Organic, Gluten Free, Non GMO Project Verified, Kosher, Certified B-Corp, Made With Fair Trade Ingredients; Yerba mate contains 24 vitamins and minerals, 15 amino acids, and abundant polyphenols; yerba mate nourishes while it stimulates
Top Loose Leaf Yerba Mate: Kiss Me Organics Organic Yerba Mate Loose Leaf Tea Review
Kiss Me Organics
- SOUTH AMERICAN TRADITIONAL TEA. Yerba Mate has been used for centuries in South America as a natural stimulant to support mental clarity and focus.
- DELICIOUS 100% ORGANIC GREEN MATE. This delicious Yerba Mate is 100% organic green Brazilian, it’s packed fresh and has a distinctive, slightly bitter flavor.
- DIGESTIVE SUPPORT. Yerba works as a natural digestive that supports healthy a gut and provides an energy boost.
- ANTIOXIDANT & VITAMIN-PACKED. Yerba Mate Loose Leaf is packed with vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B3, B5, E, calcium and iron as well as antioxidants and amino acids.
- Yerba contains antioxidant & anti-inflammatory properties and saponins.
Great for Health: Taragui Yerba Mate Con Palo Review
- Mate tea is regarded as one of the nature's best sources of energy, fights fatigue and balances the body in all it's functions
- Rich in antioxidants and minerals, boosts immunity and is a natural source of nutrition, health and vitality
- Controls appetite, stimulates physical & mental activity
- More polyphenols than green tea, less caffeine than tea or coffee
Pure Product: Anna Park Organic Yerba Mate Review
- A TRADITIONAL TEA: Yerba Mate has been used for centuries in South America as a natural stimulant to support mental clarity and focus. Described as offering "the strength of coffee, benefits of tea, and the euphoria of chocolate". Anna Park Yerba Mate is a powerful and all natural, appetite curbing tea that provides energy, improves digestion and boosts your immune system.
- HIGHEST QUALITY AND PURITY: Our Yerba Mate is certified 100% organic, naturally gluten free and vegan without any artificial flavors or colors. Sustainably farmed, sourced from Argentina and naturally caffeinated. This exquisite Yerba Mate is produced over 3 years, protecting ecological reserve and environment.
- VITAMIN & MINERALS PACKED: Anna Park Yerba Mate is rich in vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B5, and B Complex. Also contains Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Selenium, Potassium, Magnesium, Silicon, Phosphorus. 15 Amino Acids, Fatty Acids, Chlorophyll, Flavonoids, Polyphenols, and traces minerals.
- PERFECT YERBA MATE AMOUNT : Our Mate tea comes in a giant one pound bag so you’ll be enjoying it for weeks to come. This is especially important with Yerba tea, as it is often consumed as a social experience using the special Mate gourds and a straw called a Bombilla; Invite family and friends around for your new coffee alternative, and raise a glass (or gourd) to a healthy new lifestyle. Enjoy it hot or cold!
- GUARANTEED SATISFACTION: Your satisfaction is our main priority. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed. Are you not completely satisfied? Send us an email and we will do our best to fix it.
Grown in the Rainforest: U.S. Wellness Naturals Yerba Mate Tea Review
U.S. Wellness Naturals
- Yerba Mate THE KICK: our Mate is supergreen and most of psychoactive compounds are preserved. It is heavy on CAFFEINE but it also contains THEOPHILLINE primarily found in tea (less in coffee) and THEOBROMINE (a non-addictive stimulant which, like chocolate, it contains in greater quantities than either coffee or tea). Because of its low acidity, Mate is easier on the stomach than coffee, and doesn’t leave people with the jitteriness.
- Yerba Mate Tea ORGANIC: WE packed this Yerba Mate in DOA (Department Of Agriculture) of Ohio certified facility. 100% certified organic Yerba Mate Tea by OEFFA bearing the USDA organic seal. We procure the highest quality Yerba available, the so called SUPERGREEN Yerba Mate that is farmed and packaged free from pesticides and herbicides. Packed and processed in Cleveland U.S.A. We employ local workers and help our community.
- Wild Yerba Mate is GROWN IN THE RAINFOREST : Yerba Mate tastes best when sources from its traditional home in the rainforests of South America; U.S. Wellness Naturals mate is proud to be directly from the jungle, for the freshest, healthiest cup of mate around. Each order comes in a 1 lb bulk bag made with BPA free multi-layer polymer and Kraft surface. The bag is free standing for easy storage and reseals to preserve freshness.
- SOURCING: We have had out own QI personell to travel to Brazil and personally meet the farmers, processors and exporters. The goal is REPRODUCIBLE QUALITY. We ensured that all NOP certificates are up to date and we visited the fields where the crops have been growing. Not many companies in USA have the same level of commitment or the results. 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
- Yerba Mate Loose leaf in BIG bag - The matte tea come in a giant one pound bag so you’ll be enjoying your tea for weeks (or MONTHS) to come; This is especially important with yerba tea, as it is often consumed as a social experience using the special mate gourds and a straw called a bombilla; Invite family and friends around for your new coffee alternative, and raise a glass (or gourd) to a healthy new lifestyle
What is Yerba Mate?
In simplest terms, yerba mate is tea. Some people compare it to green tea but it isn’t anything similar in reality. But what is it? Well, yerba mate comes from caffeinated leaves of a holly tree called Ilex Paraguariensis located in South American Atlantic rainforests. Hence you can mainly find it in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay. The people who harvest it are called yerbateros. Believe it or not, they are still picking up the leaves in the traditional way – by hand. Mate is a popular drink all over South America. But it is so good that everyone who tries it falls in love with it and that’s how its popularity is rapidly growing worldwide.
Traditionally you consume it from a container called a gourd. The leaves are first dried over the fire and then steeped in hot water. To drink it, you need a special metal straw which has a filter at the end. It’s made so that you wouldn’t accidentally swallow the leaf’s particles.
What Does Yerba Mate Taste Like?
It is a challenge to talk about the taste of mates. One thing is certain – no one that we know who tried it described their experience as neutral. You either love it or hate it -there is no middle! Many people asked how would we describe yerba mate taste. It has a slightly sharp taste because the leaves contain a lot of tannins. It is essential to know that leaves of younger plants have higher tannin content than those of older plants. Apart from that, products that come with more stems and sticks will taste more like wood than leaves.
Keep in mind that the first tasting experience can be overwhelming. This herbal infusion is more bitter and bolder than green tea or any other herbal tea. The best way to describe the best yerba mate flavor to someone who has never tried it is maybe to say that it is bitter, slightly earthy, and tobacco-like. You can also say that it is like green tea but with the boldness and tartness of black tea and more coffee-like effects.
Is Yerba Mate Healthy?
In short, yes, it is a healthy drink. Many people believe that the best yerba mate can never be harmful because it is an adaptogen. You may have heard this word before but are unsure about what it means. Although it sounds scientific, its meaning is pretty simple. It means that it can adapt to any type of organism. We are going to mention now some of the benefits of this delicious tea.
- It is rich in antioxidants: You may find it curious that the antioxidant content is quite a bit higher than in green tea. It is incredible, but it also comes with seven essential amino acids.
- Energy booster: Some people have asked us, does yerba mate have caffeine?! Yes, it most definitely does. Talking about yerba mate caffeine content, it is essential to say that it’s less than in coffee but more than in tea. The average cup comes with 85 mg of caffeine.
- Protects against infections: Studies show that yerba mate protects from bacterial and fungal infections. For example, one study showed that when consumed in high doses, it deactivates E.coli. which can cause diarrhea and stomach cramps.
Are There Any Side Effects?
For most people, yerba mate is generally healthy and safe. However, due to its caffeine content, some people may experience side effects. Some of them are headaches, anxiety, agitation, irregular heartbeat, etc. When people drink excessive amounts of it ( one or two liters daily), there is a risk of developing esophageal, kidney and stomach cancer.
Yerba Mate vs. Coffee
Okay, so maybe you are considering replacing coffee with yerba mate! In that case, it is good to know how they compare, and the biggest question is about the amount of caffeine they contain. Interestingly a cup of mate and a cup of coffee with about the same amount of caffeine (75-80 grams). However, it appears that caffeine in mate produces different effects than caffeine in coffee. If you drink too much coffee, you may experience jitters and crashing effects. Mate, on the other hand, doesn’t have these effects unless you drink liters of it. Nevertheless, this is something nobody ever does! The reason for this difference may lie in the fact that mate contains theophylline and theobromine.
Yerba Mate Overall Benefits
- Greater energy
- Improved mental health
- Weight loss
- Disease prevention
Choosing the Best Yerba Mate: Features to Look For
You have probably noticed that there are plenty of yerba mate brands. Of course, since the main ingredient is always the same, they have a lot of similarities. But some differences between them can affect your choice. Now we will look at some of them so that you can choose your best mate tea more easily.
While creating our yerba mate reviews, we’ve discovered that all the best yerba mate tea comes in three forms. The most common and known are free leaves. They are for making traditional mate tea. Besides that, we have the best yerba mate tea bags, which are the first choice for people who want to drink it as they drink a green tea brand. Finally, you can also find it in a can or bottle. It is popular among those who don’t like the taste of mate but need a healthy energy drink.
So, we already talked about mate flavor. Although the basis is the same, there are differences in taste between brands. But this stands for coffee and tea in general. When you don’t have a lot of experience, you may not notice these differences. But the more you drink, mate, the more it will be clear what we talk about here.
- Most yerba mate products are slightly bitterish. But if you are not a big fan of bitterness, you should go for Cruz de Malta or Nobleza Gaucha.
- The mate that comes with stems will most definitely have a woody taste. One of the woodiest is Rosamonte.
- Some manufacturers, such as Picada Vieja, will contain leaves that were roasted over the open fire. It will bring a wonderful smokey flavor.
- Some offer creamy flavor. It is a favorite among beginners. One of the most known in this group is Canarias.
In Spanish, stems are called Palos. One difference between various yerba mate brands is that they can come with stems (con Palos) and without (sin Palos). As we mentioned earlier, mate with stems is less bitter. However, this type doesn’t have a full-body flavor. Still, it depends on your preference which one you will choose.
Polvo (Yerba Mate Dust)
During the process of preparing the leaves, you will also have yerba mate fine dust. This powder quickly dissolves and produces energy-boosting effects. However, yerba mate with polvo is very potent.
Country of Origin
Because it is so popular, different countries in South America produce yerba mate. The most famous is Argentinian yerba mate, which uses large cut leaves and less polvo than Brazilian or the type from Uruguay. Brazilian variation is called chimera and is pretty strong. The variation from Uruguay is somewhere in between the previous two.
Best Yerba Mate Brands
This Argentinian yerba mate brand has a unique and potent taste. Thus, it’s primarily for people that have some experience with drinking yerba mate . So keep in mind that it is a very bitter option, so if it’s not the taste you are after – look for another brand.
This is one of the best yerba mate brands from Brazil. However, they use mate harvested in Uruguay. As far as the taste goes, we can describe this mate as smokey, bitter, and creamy. So it’s fantastic when you need an energy boost.
Cruz de Malta
Cruz de Malta has a pretty mild flavor, and thus it is an excellent option for beginners. That’s because this yerba mate brand is less bitter than others. It also doesn’t have as many tea particles and dust that you can accidentally swallow.
It is the best option for people who like to drink mate like any other tea. That’s because this yerba mate tea is more convenient, as it comes in teabags. So it’s a fantastic way to enjoy this drink in the office.
Guayaki is a mate drink in the can. It is made for people who don’t like the taste of mate so much but want a healthier energy drink. You can find it across South and North America. However, it is also pretty common in Europe.
How to Make Yerba Mate?
Here is a video explaining a process of making yerba mate tea:
Can You Get Addicted to Yerba Mate?
In general, you can get addicted to anything that you like! In the same way, you can, of course, get addicted to yerba mate. This drink has caffeine, which can cause addiction. However, as long as you stay within the safe limit, you don’t have to worry about side effects. But if you do have some medical conditions, such as anxiety, depression, allergy e.t.c, it’s best to consult with your doctor before trying this drink.
A Note on Recommended Dosage: The recommended dosage doesn’t exceed 5 grams per day or one cup daily.
And that’s all on the best yerba mate, folks! Overall, this is a wonderful, delicious and healthy drink that will satisfy your taste buds and give you a big energy boost! However, as it is a bit bitterish, you might need some time to get used to it!
So, have you tried mate before? Do you like it?