- 1 Top 8 Best Salt-Free Water Softener: Comparison Chart
- 1.1 Best Overall - YARNA Capacitive Electronic Water Descaler System Review
- 1.2 Easy-to-install Design: Watts Premier Salt-Free Scale Prevention System Review
- 1.3 Works With Any Hardness Level: Eddy Electronic Water Descaler Review
- 1.4 Polarization of Mineral Salts: Trillium Worldwide TWI-5001 Magnet Review
- 1.5 Solves Hard Water Problems: iSpring ED2000 Alternative Water Softener Review
- 1.6 For 3-6 Bathrooms - APEC Water Systems Salt Free Water Softener Review
- 1.7 Improve the Taste of Water: Hardless NG Filter and Water Conditioner Review
- 1.8 Most Compact and User-friendly: P3 Chemical-Free Water Conditioner Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About the Best Salt-Free Water softener
- 2.1 Are water softeners worth it?
- 2.2 Benefits of water softener system
- 2.3 How does a salt-free water softener work?
- 2.4 Salt vs Salt-free water softener
- 2.5 What size water softener do I need?
- 2.6 Best Salt-Free Water Softener Types
- 3 Best Salt-Free Water softener FAQ
- 4 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Top 8 Best Salt-Free Water Softener: Comparison Chart
Best Overall - YARNA Capacitive Electronic Water Descaler System Review
- HOW IT WORKS BETTER: Yarna CWD24 water descaler whole house treats the water with electric impulses which are generated in the electronic unit and are controlled by a computerized micro-chip. The signal-frequencies are transmitted via the ULTRA FLAT IMPULSE BANDS that are wrapped around the pipe. The bands form a frequency-field that changes the crystals in the water as it flows by. By that the crystals won't stick one to another forming the limescale that breaks your appliances.
- WHO BENEFITS FROM YARNA: If you have: Blocked piping systems, Dull surfaces and malfunctioning machinery, High costs for heating, High expenses for cleaning, Rust accumulation in the pipe that leads to corrosion, Bacterial growth in drinking water-carrying pipes, and Others. Depending on the condition of your plumbing (how large the limescale deposits are), it might take up to three months to notice a significant improvement.
- EASY & CLEAN INSTALLATION: You need access to a Min 10” of free pipe space and a Max 1.5” pipe diameter. However, you do NOT need any tools or specialized help. It takes 15 minutes to install and will work Maintenance Free. Our water descaler whole house works with ANY pipe type up to 1.5” thick: iron, copper, stainless steel, plastic, PVC, PE-x, compound pipes.
- WHY DESCALING IS BETTER THAN SOFTENING: Our YARNA house water softner system descaler does NOT eliminate wanted minerals like Calcium and Magnesium. Minerals are good and a necessary part of our diet. Yarna does NOT use salt or waste any water. Water descaling is a process used to reduce the negative effects of hard water. It prevents minerals from forming scale deposits, which is the main disadvantage of hard water.
- RISK-FREE 365 DAYS - 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Our promise is that you will enjoy a limescale-free environment as long as our YARNA house water softner system descaler is installed. To that end, should you not be satisfied with the product’s performance, you have a whole year to return it for a full refund.
Easy-to-install Design: Watts Premier Salt-Free Scale Prevention System Review
- ONEFLOW+ WATER FILTRATION: The OneFlow+ System uses Template Assisted Crystallization (TAC) rated most effective scale prevention technology by WateReuse Research Foundation (Evaluation of Alternatives to Domestic Ion Exchange Water Softeners, 2013). The TAC system attracts and converts hardness minerals into harmless, inactive microscopic crystal particles that stay suspended in the water and are passed to drain.
- ONEFLOW+ PERFORMANCE: Reduces scale build-up in water heating devices, pipes, and on fixtures; improving the water flow and helps to extend the life of appliances. It is salt and chemical-free, making it a great alternative to water softening (ion exchange) or scale sequestering devices.
- SCALE PREVENTION: The OneFlow Media cartridge is used for the prevention of scale build-up which can last up to 250, 000 gallons or replacement every 3 years, whichever comes first. This cartridge is used in combination with a 20 Micron radial flow Carbon Block for the reduction of Sediments and Chlorine taste and odor for up to 50, 000 gallon or replaced annually, whichever comes first.
- : Save up to $300 annually (Based on a 4 person household using 75 Gallons per person daily), with NO need to purchase and replenish salt bags, NO electricity required, and NO waste water required of traditional water softeners.
- EASY TO INSTALL: It's compact design, with standard 1 inch NPT inlet/outlet adapters, does not require access to a drain or electrical outlet. This allows for simple installation, either on the floor or mounted to a wall with the included mounting bracket. Virtually maintenance free with no salt to monitor or other chemicals to constantly add or maintain. The high capacity replacement cartridges are easily changed with the included multifunction tool and pressure relief valve.
Works With Any Hardness Level: Eddy Electronic Water Descaler Review
- 12 month 100% "no quibble" Money-Back Guarantee + Lifetime Repair or Replace warranty.
- Easy customer installation on metal or plastic pipes. Helps prevent build-up of lime scale and dissolve existing deposits.
- No salt alternative to a water softener. Emulates softened water without changing your water hardness. Retains healthy minerals in your water supply.
- Descales entire water system. Maintenance-free with great results up to and above 20 gpg.
- Environmentally friendly. No salt added to your water and users report great improvements to hair and skin. Please scroll down page to see full Product Description.
Polarization of Mineral Salts: Trillium Worldwide TWI-5001 Magnet Review
- Quickly installs on an incoming fresh water pipe
- Polarization of mineral salts modified by magnetic field
- Reduces scale build-up due to hard water
- Helps improve taste and feel of tap water
- Fits incoming water pipes up to 1.5-Inch diameter
Solves Hard Water Problems: iSpring ED2000 Alternative Water Softener Review
- Solves hard water problems without the need for chemicals, salt, or maintenance, while keeping healthy minerals in the water by preventing scale deposits from forming and allowing existing scale to break down.
- Descales your entire water system and prevents scale buildup in pipes. Reduces energy consumption with an average one year payback period.
- Great for your home and the environment, individuals on salt-restricted diets, and those looking for healthier skin and hair.
- Designed for very hard water areas (10-19 grains). Saves energy and extends the life of your appliances.
- No plumbing modifications required. Maintenance-free. Works on any pipe, even PEX and PVC.
For 3-6 Bathrooms - APEC Water Systems Salt Free Water Softener Review
- Designed for 3-6 bathrooms homes, the 2-stage WH-SOLUTION-MAX15 is the most heavy-duty Whole House Water System that provides an unlimited supply of clean, filtered and softened water throughout every faucet
- The first stage water filtration system uses the highest grade catalytic granular activated carbon to remove chloramine, chlorine, taste, odor & color, dangerous VOCs and THMs contaminants from water. Auto self-cleaning backwashing feature enables maximum performance
- Get luxury spa quality water for your shower, bath, and hot tubs and enjoy healthier, more moisturized skin and hair. Use clean, clear and refreshing water for cooking and washing fruits & vegetables
- The second stage salt-free water conditioner uses an advanced ceramic media that effectively attracts and neutralizes hard water properties without the use of salt or corrosive chemicals. Maintenance-free, 100% environment friendly and safe for plants
- Effectively prevents scale buildup and prolongs lifespan of pipes and home appliances. Helps reduce health risks for people with high blood pressure or on salt restricted diets. Suitable for hardness below 25 grains/gallon
Improve the Taste of Water: Hardless NG Filter and Water Conditioner Review
- SMALL AND COMPACT – This one unit filters and conditions the water for your whole house, ensuring high quality drinking water from every tap in your home.
- BETTER TASTING WATER – Enjoy your morning coffee or tea without that nasty aftertaste or chlorine smell from your city or well water.
- EASY TO MAINTAIN – Just turn the valve on the bottom of the water filter unit for thirty seconds, once a month. It’s salt-free, so you don’t need any salt.
- PREVENTS LIMESCALE – The cartridge modifies the crystalline structure of the minerals in the water to prevent limescale build up and other hard water problems, which lengthens the life of your pipes and water appliances.
- GREAT WATER PRESSURE – The Lotus Whole House Water Filter does not reduce your water pressure or waste water.
Most Compact and User-friendly: P3 Chemical-Free Water Conditioner Review
- Water conditioner prevents lime-scale buildup without chemicals
- PVC and ceramic ferrite magnets polarize salt molecules in hard water
- Compact and efficient; won't change the taste or quality of water
- Fits any standard 3/4-inch water pipe; no batteries or moving parts
- Measures approximately 1 by 7-3/4 by 2 inches; 10-year limited warranty
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About the Best Salt-Free Water softener
Through this review article, we help you choose the right water softening systems that will suit your budget, requirement, and maintenance needs. When you are looking at a no salt water softener, there are a few things that distinguish the varieties in the market like the technology they use, installation process, effective life span, filtering methods used, etc. Here we discuss all you need to know about water softener without salt.
Are water softeners worth it?
They are expensive, but they are worth every penny. It is essential for every household that has a supply of hard water. Hard water does not lather much in case of washing and cleaning with soap. It also leaves stains and lime scales on the equipment we use, requiring replacement more often.
Investing in a water softener will save you from the replacement costs of your expensive appliances and also give you access to water that is good for your skin and hair. Nobody wants to be replacing their washing machines and dishwashers often. To install an efficient conditioning system to give you a generous supply while maintaining the plumbing in the best of health.
Benefits of water softener system
There are quite a few benefits offered by water softeners. Both salted and saltless water softeners have their benefits ranging from protecting plumbing to providing clean potable water. However, as we mentioned earlier, the salt-free water softening system is excellent for all your household cleaning purposes.
Let’s take a detailed look at the various benefits offered by these water softening systems.
- Keeps your house plumbing intact – The hard water that passes through your pipes can not only clog your shower but also create blocks in your entire pipeline. The clog reduces the inflow of water through the pipes and eventually will lead to wear and tear of the pipes, which might lead to permanent damage to the plumbing system. Softening systems will help in reducing the mineral deposits and thereby keeps your pipes and appliances free from damage due to the hardness. This also means you will not have to spend huge amounts of repairs and replacement of pipes.
- Good for your skin and hair – Calcium and magnesium present in the water will mean that your hair will become dry and brittle after each wash. You will have dull looking and frizzy hair unless you invest in some expensive hair conditioners. Hard water will also make your skin dry and itchy. Water softeners can be a solution to this problem by giving you water that is free from all unwanted and harmful chemicals. It also helps your skin and hair preserve all the natural oils, so leaving both smooth and shiny.
- Less time on cleaning chores – Nobody wants to scrub those walls and sinks to make them stain-free and free from lime scales. Apart from the efforts on heavy-duty scrubbing, you will also need to spend a good amount on the cleaning supplies that can act effectively on scale build-up. Using softeners can mean that you will not have to struggle as much cleaning those stained bathroom walls and appliances.
- Cleaner and brighter clothes after each wash – Using water that is clear of all the hardness will mean that your soap will lather better and give your cleaner clothes. Moreover, certain minerals present in hard water can leave a stain on your clothes, which will make your clothes look faded. When you use water post the softening treatment, you will get brighter and cleaner clothes. Your washing machines will also work efficiently with an improved inflow of water.
- Good for your overall health – Normal tap water has a lot of lead content and contaminants. Using this water for your everyday needs starting from bathing to cooking, leads to a build of harmful chemicals in your body. This can be avoided if you use the best saltless water softener at home.
How does a salt-free water softener work?
Water softeners that don’t use salt are more a conditioner than a softener as it does not actually remove the hardness of water rather, it crystallizes the calcium content. Since it crystallizes the calcium content, it will not build up on the insides of your water pipes. This works effectively in reducing the build-up and offering an extended life span to your appliances and faucets.
Salt vs Salt-free water softener
Salt-free water softener (SFWS) though consists of the word softener in it, does not reduce the hardness in the water. Whereas Salt-based water softeners (SBWS) get rid of the magnesium and calcium from the water and thereby reduces the hardness through a process called ion exchange.
- SFWS does not require an electric valve, whereas the softener requires an electric valve as it requires to purge the minerals present.
- Water from SFWS will contain the hardness, and therefore your soap might not lather up easily. Water from SBWS will give you a slick feeling, which will give you more lather.
- SFWS has involved very little or no maintenance; thereby, it is more affordable than the SBWS.
- There is no wastewater in the case of salt-free water treatment systems, whereas there is considerable water wasted in the ion exchange process as only the softened water is passed for use. The water containing the minerals are flushed out through other pipes.
What size water softener do I need?
This depends on water consumption in your home. A whole house salt-free water softener that can give 34 Gallons Per Minute would be ideal for a family of 5 or more. However, this is rather a rough estimate, and you should be able to zero in on the ideal one based on your household water consumption per day.
This is very important as you should start by choosing one of the right sizes, so it perfectly fits in the place you have reserved for the conditioner. You will find wide screened machines to one that is sleek that occupies the least space.
Most of the outer portions are made from high-quality plastic. The inside parts of the water softeners are made from different materials ranging from plastic to metals, depending on the method of conditioning adopted by the machine. If you want your conditioner to last longer, you will need to invest in a slightly expensive range that might have interiors made of metals.
It depends on the filtering capacity on the machine (here it refers to the crystallizing capacity). This depends on the water usage in your homes and the number of members in the family. Some brands will give you the total amount of water it can filter in its entire lifetime, while some will quote how many years it may last. Discuss with the local dealers or get in touch with the customer support teams for more detailed information on each.
Grain rating refers to how much hardness the conditioner can handle. You will have to get your water checked for hardness. Test the water for hardness using water test kits for quick results. This will help you zero in on the right one based on the grain density of your water.
The rate of flow depends on the grains per gallon and the amount of resin used on the softener to treat. How many gallons of water can it treat per minute, and you can also look at the valve specifications and distribution system specific to determine the flow rate.
Ease of install
The best whole house water softener is the ones that are easy to install. Like we already discussed, these do not require electricity. Most of the versions that are available today come with all the necessary tools and manual to install it. You will not need any professional services to install the device at home.
Some of the filtering machines come with a 365-day risk-free guarantee while some versions come with a 5-year warranty. This will also reflect on the price of your pay. If you are prepared to pay that extra price, your machine will have an extended life and servicing.
The most important consideration you have to look at when you are considering getting a machine that fits in your budget. Here our salt-free water softener reviews recommend you choose a machine that is reasonable of good quality than looking at cheaper varieties.
Best Salt-Free Water Softener Types
Not all salt-free water softener systems work in the same way. You can differentiate them based on the method of managing the hardness in water. From using
Full filtering system
These are filtering systems come softeners that will filter the water and coat the hard water grains to soften it. This allows you to use the water safely while also enjoying the benefit of natural minerals present in water. These salt-free water softener and filter system not only will prevent the scale builds up but also clean the pipes of the limescale build-up that is already present. It is more or less the same as the best drinking water filter.
Water Softener with Polyphosphates
This will be an ideal salt-free water softener for well water because it uses polyphosphate filters to remove chlorine, chloramines, pesticides, herbicides from water. Thus, you can use water that is free from harmful sanitizing chemicals in the water.
Electro-Magnetic Water Softeners
This model makes use of electricity to send electromagnetic waves through the pipes to suspend the hard water mineral grains. Thereby it reduces the ability of the minerals to stick onto the pipes.
Magnetic water softeners
These are simple magnetic wraps that can be wrapped around your pipes so that it will attract all the mineral content. Thus, it will not adhere to the walls of the pipes. These units are relatively easy to install and not very expensive. These are also completely maintenance-free. They are small, have a very simple mechanism of conditioning water, and easy to fit in any type of pipes.
Best Salt-Free Water softener FAQ
Do all water softeners use salt?
Not all water softeners use salt to reduce the hardness in water. Our saltless water softener reviews have already spoken about the conditioners that do not use salt for managing the hardness in water. Saltless machines use ion exchange, electromagnetic waves or magnetic waves, etc. to prevent the hard water grains from causing scale build-up on the pipes.
How to install a water softener?
This process differs greatly from each type of water softener or conditioner. While the best whole house water softener will have to be connected to the main water pipe. Some of the magnetic wraps and sheets can simply be attached to your water pipes. Electromagnetic types will require you to place it near a power source. Here we will take a look at how a whole house water softener can be installed
You might need the following to install a salt-free water softener.
- Tubing or copper pipes.
- Pipe cutters and wrench
- Compression fittings.
- Teflon Tape
- Soldering machine
The Installation Process
- Assemble all the components parts at the place you have reserved for the water conditioner.
- Shut off the main valve that supplies water to your homes – Empty the water in the pipes by keeping the lowest spout open and allow the water out.
- Identify the pipe that supplies cold water before it reaches the pre-filter stage. Cut the pipe. Use a pipe cutter to tighten it and make a cut by rotating the cutter around the pipe.
- Now you will have to fix a shut-off valve here to allow or stop the inflow of water. You could either glue it t your PVC pipes or attach it to the copper pipe using a soldering machine.
- Use the compression fittings to attach the carbon pre-filter after the shut-off valve.
- The second valve has to be installed after placing the pre-filter. Now extend the pipe to connect it to the main supply of the filter system. This also has to be attached to the compression fittings.
- The downflow outlet of the system has to be connected back to the cold water supply, so the water flows through the conditioner and back through the house.
- Now make sure both shut-off valves are in the closed position. Then you can turn on the main water supply valve.
- Open one valve at a time so that you can identify if there are any leaks present at the place you installed the valves. If you find any leaks, you will have to fix it before starting the water conditioning process.
In any case, you always have the opportunity to turn to professionals to solve the problem of installing equipment.
How long should a water softener last?
Best salt-free water softener systems should last anywhere between 10 to 15 years, similar to your household appliances. This also depends on the brand you go for, the price you pay, and how well you take care of it and attend to its timely maintenance. Look for the product life span while you purchase the product to know the effective life of the machine.
Do salt-free water softeners work?
This is a rather difficult question to answer. While we assure you that it works in its best capacity to hold back the mineral content in water, it does not necessarily give your soft water (water-free from minerals). It only stops the mineral deposits from accumulating on your pipes and appliances.
How do I know if I need a water softener?
If you happen to live in a place where the primary source of water is groundwater that has a hardness, you will need a water softener. You could use a water testing kit to identify if your water contains minerals like calcium and magnesium.
Looks out for obvious signs of hard water use such as scale build-up on appliances, plumbing requiring constant maintenance, a skyrocketing water bill, less inflow of water through your pipes. These are all tell-tale signs that you need a water softener at home.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
You should be able to choose the right one for your home needs after you have gone through our article. Our top pick and best salt-free water softener 2020 recommendation depends on the fact that the system is simplistic, easy to operate, and fulfills the water conditioning needs of every household. That’s why we choose Eddy Electronic Water Descaler. This a full filtering system that works well with both well water and city tap water. It requires very little maintenance that you will most probably fit it and forget it. However, do remember to undertake its timely maintenance for a prolonged life span. Not only does it come with a salt-free water conditioning mechanism, but it also has the UV purification system for increasing the effectiveness of water softening.
You will never notice a drop in the pressure of water flow even if it goes through an intense filtering system. The innovative technology is also quite affordable in terms of requiring very fewer replacements in the entire life span.