Best Rice Cookers - Top 10
- Top Rated Rice Cooker Elechomes CR502 LED Touch Control Rice Cooker
1 place :
The Elechomes LED touch cheap rice cooker helps even novices prepare healthy, big meals at home. It’s a 16-in-1 smart electric cooker with customized meal options for all function menus, except rye cooking. It is huge enough to hold 10 cups of raw rye to serve 5-8 people.
It’s a versatile model that makes more than rye, like pasta, yogurt, cake, oatmeal, soup. Add the ingredients and use its 24-hour delay start feature set the time, temperature.
It automatically starts and keeps food warm once ready. Easy to clean using a sponge or soft cloth, not something harsh that will damage the coating.
- Easy to clean nonstick inner pot
- Has a steam vent, detachable inner cover
- Large LED display for setting real-time food preparation process
- Steams when in operation
- Includes a spoon, soup ladle, spoon holder, measuring glass, food steamer
- Rice Cooker With Timer-Instant Pot DUO60 Multi-Use 6 qt. Programmable Model
2 place :
This DUO Instant Pot is a pressure rice cooker, 7-in-1 kitchen appliance that prepares food 70% faster, perfect for today’s fast life. It pressure and slow cooks, makes yogurt, steams, sautés and keeps food warm at the press of a button.
Its inner food grade 304 stainless steel pot doesn’t have a chemical coating. Its 3-ply bottom evenly distributes heat and retains the food’s aroma, nutrients, and flavors.
The latest 3rd generation technology has a microprocessor monitoring pressure, temperature and adjusting heat and time. Its 10 safety mechanisms provide the assurance to eliminate many common errors.
Dual pressure settings work at high pressure to reduce food preparation time and at low pressure to prevent overcooking. There’s also a 24-hour timer for delayed start and it doesn’t make noise or leak steam.
- Alexa guiding food preparation, app maintains recipes, grocery lists
- 3 sauté, 3 slow cooker temperature options
- Dishwasher safe pot, lid, steam rack
- Comes with a removable cord
- Safety features like lid lock, automatic temperature control, electrical, thermal fuses
- Zojirushi Rice Cooker Review- Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 Neuro Rice Cooker
3 place :
The Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 is a wall mountable Micom rye cooker with advanced Fuzzy Logic technology. It can actually ‘think’ and make fine temperature and heating time adjustments to prepare flawless rye.
It’s a 51/2 cup unit which can make 10 cups of cooked rye. It offers various cooking selections like quick, automatic and longer reheating time.
There are a timer and an LCD clock, stay cool side handles and a built-in retractable cord. The programmable beep audio indicator indicates when food is ready.
There’s an easy-to-read LCD control panel, a two-setting delay timer and uniform heating nonstick inner pan. The portable rice cooker has a fold-down handle to easily carry around if need be.
- Microcomputer technology model with 1-year limited warranty
- 2 cups, a spoon, holder, recipes
- Beep audio indicator
- Detachable, washable inner lid
- Easy-to-read LCD control panel
- Panasonic Rice Cooker Review-Panasonic Automatic SR-G06FGL
4 place :
The Panasonic Rice and Multi Cooker is perfect for students, professionals, and families to prepare hot meals. It easily makes a maximum of 6 cups of different rye varieties, and other foods like vegetables, soups, stews, and oatmeal.
It’s easy to use with a push-button single step operation. There’s no need to switch it off because it has an automatic shutoff feature and indicator light.
The durable, non-stick coating aluminum pan evenly distributes heat, withstands years of heat and is cleaned easily. It has a tempered, transparent glass lid with a plastic knob for easy monitoring.
- pros +
- Includes a measuring cup, scoop Offers multilingual operating instructions Easy to use with automatic shutoff function Indicator lights Aluminum pan evenly distributes heat
- cons -
- Food touching pot surfaces dries out if the unit’s not switched off Messy because there are no holes in the lid for steam
- iger Rice Cooker Review-Tiger Corporation Micom
5 place :
The Tiger Micom model saves on food preparation time through its synchronized ‘tacook’ feature. It actively monitors food temperatures to produce the perfect main dish and meal.
There are 4 menu settings- plain or brown rye and synchrony or slow cooking. The inner pan’s non-stick coating simplifies cleaning up while the BPA-free plate doesn’t affect the food’s flavor or texture. It’s one of the best rice cooker for brown rice.
- pros +
- Inclusive of a plate, non-stick spatula, measuring cup Synchrony cooking manual Has a detachable inner steam cap A Micom with 4 menu options The non-stick coated inner pan
- cons -
- No timer Water leaks, food starts burning after some time
- Cuckoo Rice Cooker Review- CR-0631F
6 place :
This is a made in Korea electric Cuckoo rice cooker that accommodates 6 cups of raw. It has a non-stick Teflon coated inner pot for uniform heating, easy cleaning.
It works using the help of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent algorithms, including Turbo Cooking functions. The Asian rice cooker can cook both GABA and brown types, and easily feeds up to 6 people.
- pros +
- Prepares up to 6 cups of raw rye Has Teflon coated non-stick inner pot Easy-to-clean high-quality parts Fuzzy Logic technology Cooks both GABA, brown variants
- cons -
- No handles, making tossing food difficult No voice announcer
- Hamilton Beach Rice Cooker Review- Hamilton Beach 37548 Rice and Cereal Cooker
7 place :
The Hamilton Beach rice cooker prepares most dishes like different rye types, grains, vegetables, seafood and much more to perfection. Just place the ingredients, switch on and select the desired setting.
It’s ideal for professionals and families because it makes between 2 to 14 cups of any grains. The delay start feature makes planning meals easier, and it automatically keeps meals warm till consumption.
It’s steam basket doubles as a rinser to prevent grains from clumping. It’s easy to clean thanks to the dishwasher safe nonstick pot.
- pros +
- Can program to prepare meals 11 hours in advance Keeps food warm till serving time Six preprogrammed settings chosen with a few presses of a button Stylish exteriors, lightweight, compact in size for easy storage Ideal for single people, families
- cons -
- No specific water measurements Food sticks to its nonstick coating
- Stainless Steel Rice Cooker- OYAMA™ Stainless Steel Rice Cooker
8 place :
The Oyama rice cooker is made of 04 surgical grade stainless steel. It easily prepares 16 cups of rye while the steamer tray steams various foods. The glass lid lets you monitor food while the included measuring cup is about ¾ cup US measure.
This is a simple one-touch operation unit that automatically switches to the keep-warm mode. It comes with a plastic paddle, warranty card, and owner’s manual.
- pros +
- Has a fixed power cord Single touch operation Switches to keep-warm mode after preparing food Glass lid for monitoring food Makes 16 cups of rye
- cons -
- Doesn’t work with 220V only with 120V Poor customer service
- Aroma Rice Cooker Review Aroma Housewares Pot Style Rice Cooker and Food Steamer
9 place :
The Aroma digital rice cooker is a multi-functional kitchen appliance that also bakes cakes. It has a 14 cup capacity, enough for a family and keeps food warm once ready.
It’s easy to use with its user-friendly programming and a one-touch operation. It includes accessories like non-stick inner pot, aluminum steam tray, plastic spatula, and measuring cup.
The Aroma professional rice cooker steam tray steams meat and vegetables while food is prepared below.
- pros +
- Makes 2-6 cups of any rye variety, easy to clean Full-view tempered glass lid Inclusive of a measuring cup, steam tray, serving spatula Keeps food warm once ready Ideal for 2-3 people
- cons -
- Sprays water everywhere, burns food Thin steam tray, flimsy buttons No ‘off’ button can only unpllug
- Black And Decker Rice Cooker Review- BLACK+DECKER 16-Cup Cooked Rice Cooker
10 place :
The Black Decker rice cooker is also a food steamer that steams vegetables, fish and more. It can make 3 to 16 cups of rye, ideal for students, professionals, and families.
It automatically keeps food warm and fluffy till consumption. The removable dishwasher-safe nonstick bowl is easy to clean. There are two heat settings. The first is for cooking and absorbing moisture and the second is warming mode. Always read the manual before use.
- pros +
- Prepares rye in 20-40 minutes Includes steaming basket, spoon, manual, measuring cup Has a nonstick bowl, tempered glass lid Can also prepare soups, stew, oatmeal Different colored indicator lights indicates if food is cooking or kept warm
- cons -
- Complaints of cooker rye burning Low lifespan
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About rice cooker
Types of Rice Cookers
The best rice cooker reviews are not enough to learn more about these appliances. You also need to know about the different types, and their pros and cons.
Instant Programmable Electric Model
- The best electric rice cooker can cook various dishes
- Pressure, slow cooks
- Available as manual or automatic rice cooker
- Made of stainless steel like Aroma stainless steel rice cooker, easy to wash
- Not found any cons
- A smart item that adjusts power based on food being prepared
- Quickly prepares food, even for families
- Easy to use controls with different option icons
- Automatic shut down feature keeps food warm for up to 12 hours
- Detachable power cord and nonstick, easily cleaned interior bowl
- Not found any cons
- Operates with basic model features
- Affordable rate with on/off, warming switches
- LCD display showing time, 4-5 setting buttons
- Can sauté, steam, warm previously prepared food
- Not found any cons
- Also called micro-computerized models
- Runs on microchip computer technology
- Has a built-in alarm, re-heats
- Most automatically shut off at a specific time
- Cooks a variety of rye including GABA, brown, jasmine, various dishes
- A bit expensive
- Prepares food in the usual manner or with added pressure
- Food is softer, more easily digested
- Tells you what you have chosen upon pushing function buttons
- Usually available in a choice of languages
- More marketing than practical application
- The voice feature doesn’t affect food preparation
- Mini rice cooker which works like a microwave oven
- Good for re-heating
- Made of microwave-safe plastic, lightweight, dishwasher safe
- Best small rice cooker but not fit for large families
- Emphasized more on aesthetics, not features
1. What Makes The Best Rice Cooker?
With so many models, types available, you naturally want to know what makes the best model and unit. Well here are some features that should help you.
2. Even Heating and Preparation
Top items should prepare rye evenly. There should be no changes in its fluffiness or taste in food in the unit’s middle, top or bottom.
3. Consistent Between Batch Sizes
The best models maintain consistency while cooking, no matter what the batch size or type used.
4. Excellent for Many Grain Types
Good rice cookers have preset programs for even different grain types.
If you want quick meals, look for something that prepares a batch within an hour. However, speed isn’t essential if you are preplanning to prepare food later.
5. A Nonstick Cooking Pot
This saves time that’s otherwise spent on cleaning and scrubbing burnt and stuck food.
6. Fuzzy Logic
These units have a microchip that senses and adjusts the temperature for the best performance. It adjusts based on the amount of rye and water, and the type.
7. A Tight Seal on The Lid
The unit should have a tight sealing lid to maintain an even temperature when in use. Water vapor escapes from loose lids, instead of getting absorbed by the food.
8. A Quick-Cook Setting
This is required if you need to save food preparation time or are in a hurry. However, quick cooking may affect food quality.
9. A Keep-Warm Setting
The device automatically switches to keep-warm setting to keep the prepared food warm till consumption. Some models have an extended mode that keeps food fresh and tasty for days.
10. A Compact Size
These kitchen devices are countertop appliances so keep your available space in mind while selecting one. Models with retractive cords use less space.
11. A Plastic Paddle
Units with a plastic paddle are better for making, and fluffing food, without scratching the pot.
12. An Alert or Musical Tone
Some models have a programmable melody or beep audio indicating food is ready.
13. A One-Year Warranty
Most devices have warranties. Look for one with minimally a one-year warranty to ensure you receive proper customer care if something goes wrong.
Tips on using Rice Cookers
Here are some tips that help prolong your pot’s life and give well made food.
- Use the provided plastic spoon, or buy one to stir and prevent food from scratching the nonstick surface.
- Wipe the outside because a wet exterior damages its heating elements and temperature.
- Don’t keep food warm for too long because it may damage the inner pot. If you need food ready at a later time, program it to start later.
- Experiment with small amounts of new dishes if you are trying something new. The liquid may overflow or leak because of too many ingredients.
- Soak the rye first, especially the brown variant, to soften its shell and avoid potential overflow.
- Though some units suggest washing grains in the inner pot, it’s better avoided. Grains are hard and sharp, and can damage the coating.
- Always wash the inner pot with the softest sponge. Soak dried or burnt food first in warm or hot water and then wash with the sponge. Forced washing only harms its coating.
- The best steak knives and best mini food processor can help in preparing a great meal.
How to Use a Rice Cooker?
- Rye should be washed clean and to remove excess starch so that it ends up less sticky after cooked.
- Use the accompanying measuring cup to measure the right amount of water and rye. Different unit cups have varied volumes, and may not comply with your device’s optimum load capacity.
- Different grain types need different amounts of water. Most have etched measuring lines for short grain white variants and brown rye. It’s better to follow instructions for adding water to other types.
How to Cook Rice in a Rice Cooker?
Different rye types have different ratios with water, and some best brown rice cookers have unique features like automatic timers. So it’s better to read a Japanese rice cooker’s manual before use. Generally, you can prepare food in a 3 cup rice cooker by:
- Rinsing rye in cold water to remove excess starch
- Adding it and appropriate water to the unit, along with spices if needed
- Closing the lid and switching on the unit after setting it to the appropriate setting. (White rye is ready within 20-25 minutes and automatically switches to warm mode.)
- Letting it rest for about 10 minutes wherein it absorbs extra moisture, and then serve.
If you also wonder how to cook rice without a rice cooker, it’s easy. You can similarly prepare it in a vessel of water. The only difference is that you will have to keep monitoring it while it’s being cooked.
How to Cook Quinoa in a Rice Cooker?
It’s easy. Just rinse a cup of quinoa and let it cook with double the water for 15 minutes.
How to Make Sushi Rice in a Rice Cooker?
Wash a cup and cook with a cup of water and let it rest. Mix 1tbsp. each rye vinegar and sugar and half tsp. salt in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Transfer the cooked rye to a large bowl and mix with the vinegar mixture. Start rolling sushi when it cools to room temperature.
How Long Does It Take to Cook Rice in a Rice Cooker?
It depends. A cup of regular rye takes about 15 minutes, parboiled about 20 minutes and whole grain variants, for about 45 minutes. Let it rest for about 15 minutes before removing the lid for improved texture.
How to Cook Wild Rice in a Rice Cooker?
It takes longer to prepare than normal rye, about 50 minutes. Add 2 cups of water to a cup, and let it simmer till the unit automatically switches off. Let it rest for about 10 minutes and serve.
What Can You Cook in a Rice Cooker?
There is so much you can prepare in the appliance like:
- Various grains like your breakfast oatmeal or healthy quinoa
- Steam vegetables, meat like chicken breasts, tofu and even shrimps and fish fillets
- Dishes like risotto and hummus
- Slow cooking like soups, stews, and beans
- Fruit sauces and healthy desserts like poached fruits, cheesecake or tapioca pudding
A Must-Have For 2019
Going through this buying guide and rye cooker reviews you must agree that this gadget everyone must have. It doesn’t matter if you are single or a family or if you’ll be using it to just make rye or even or other dishes. The best cheap rice cooker makes life and cooking so much easier.
If you are looking for mykitchenadvisor recommendations for the best rice cooker 2019, we feel it’s the Elechomes CR502. It’s so easy-to-use that even novices can prepare food, with it while it’s large enough to cook for 5-8 people. It can cook various dishes through its various customized options. It’s easy to clean and has various useful features like a 24-hour delay start and keep-warm mode.