- 1 TOP 4 best over range microwave: Comparison Chart
- 2 Best OVERALL: GE JVM3162RJSS Microwave with Convertible Venting
- 3 Best Smart Over The Range Microwave: Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven with Smart Sensor
- 4 Best Features Over The Range Microwave: BLACK+DECKER EM031MB11 Digital Microwave Oven
- 5 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About the Best Over Range Microwave
- 5.1 What is an Over the Range Microwave With Vent?
- 5.2 Are Most Over the Range Microwaves the Same Size?
- 5.3 How Long Should a Microwave Last?
- 5.4 How to Install Over the Range Microwave?
- 5.5 How to Choose the Best Venting Over Range Microwave?
- 5.6 Best Over Range Microwave Types
- 6 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
TOP 4 best over range microwave: Comparison Chart
Best OVERALL: GE JVM3162RJSS Microwave with Convertible Venting
- 1.6 cu. ft. Capacity Over the Range Microwave with Convertible Venting
- Microwave Settings-Defrost,Popcorn
Best Smart Over The Range Microwave: Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven with Smart Sensor
- Pre-programmed sensor menu for optimum heating of popular foods like pizza, potatoes, veggies and more ; Rated Voltage : 120V~ 60Hz
- Black Stainless Steel exterior, 20. 5 x 17. 1 x 12. 8 inch(w*d*h), large 1. 2 cubic feet capacity, cavity 13. 07*15*9. 5 inch(w*d*h), turn table 12. 4 inch(diameter)
- 1100 watts with 10 power settings, clock, and kitchen timer
- Large digital display, easy-to-read control panel, glass turntable
- One touch start popcorn and two defrost settings - custom or one-pound auto defrost. Turntable diameter: 12. 4 inches
Best Features Over The Range Microwave: BLACK+DECKER EM031MB11 Digital Microwave Oven
- Pre-programmed buttons for popcorn, potato, pizza, frozen vegetable, beverage and dinner plate
- 1000 Watts with 10 power settings, clock and kitchen timer, 30 Seconds Express Cooking
- Large LED digital display, easy-to-read control panel, child safety lock, interior light, removable 12.4” glass turntable
- Push-button door release for easy access
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 20.2” x 15.6” x 12.1”
This mounted microwave from Frigidaire from the Gallery Series has a sleek look and will be a great addition to any kitchen design. Effortless Reheat setting comes in handy because all it takes is the push of a button to have your meal ready in minutes. The LED lighting is available for the cooktop and for the interior to allow for food prep and to be able to check if your food is done in real-time. 16 x 17 x 30 inches in size and 50 pounds in weight making it a great addition to kitchens that are lacking space.
The Frigidaire brand is reliable and they have made a name for themselves on the microwave range hood. Comes equipped with all the must-have features to be considered for purchase.
- PureAir Microwave filter that will remove any unwanted odors
- Effortless Clean feature for the interior to easily remove spills and stains
- 1.7 cubic feet capacity that is enough for a medium-sized family
- Comes equipped with a rack that enables you to cook multiple dishes simultaneously
- The mounting system is different from the other models we have featured on our list. You will need to consult the manual in order to make sure that you install the microwave properly
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About the Best Over Range Microwave
What is an Over the Range Microwave With Vent?
An over the range microwave or over-the-range microwave or OTR microwave combines a ventilation unit and a microwave in one single appliance so that you can make better use of the space in your kitchen. They are usually mounted and have neutral designs that will match will any kitchen. They need to be installed so keep that in mind when deciding on your next purchase.
Are Most Over the Range Microwaves the Same Size?
Yes, most OTR microwaves are designed with 30” cabinet spaces in mind to be easily replaceable. 30” is the industry standard and you can expect a variance of about an inch between different models of a best small microwave.
How Long Should a Microwave Last?
Small over the range microwave will last between 9 to 10 years in most kitchens. While it may be a complex gadget, there aren’t many precautions you can take to make it last longer. All you need to do is keep it clean at all times and make sure you do not slam the microwave door.
How to Install Over the Range Microwave?
Installation greatly depends on the brand and model you have chosen. We advise not to call in a handyman directly because installing over the range convection microwave is not exactly rocket science. The first thing you need to do is secure the microwave to the wall using bolts and studs. A mounting plate connects to the bolts and once the mounting plate is in place you are almost done. Wiring the microwave is the last step in the process and if you follow the instructions it should not be a daunting task. Make sure you have all the tools necessary before you begin the installation of your best otr microwave.
How to Choose the Best Venting Over Range Microwave?
The most important dimensions are the outside ones for the best convection microwave. You need to make sure that it will fit in your kitchen before making the purchase. Luckily most over the range microwaves are built on the same size standards – 30”. You can expect a one-inch variation on most models so make sure you keep that in mind.
Capacity is all about the interior cooking area for your over the range microwave with the exhaust. Most models fit in the range of 0.7 cubic feet and up to 2 cubic feet in capacity. We have included on our list models with a capacity on the higher end from 1.4 to 1.7 cubic feet. This should be enough cooking capacity for an entire family without having to cook twice with the best other microwave.
There are two power measurements we need to keep in mind when looking into over the counter microwaves. The actual cooking power is measured in watts and ranges between 700 to 1000 watts. All the items we have featured in our review list have more than enough power to cook any meals you want to make. The more watts an over the counter microwave has the faster it will prepare meals.
The over the range microwaves come with an array of settings to satisfy most cooking needs. The lowest settings are designed to keep food warm or gently defrost. Defrosting is best done on lower settings because it does not cook the meat and only removes the frost. Medium settings are to be used when baking and simmering. This setting makes sure that the meat cooked will be tender and will also retain the juices that give it taste using the best over the range convection microwave. Medium settings are best used for cooking pork and beef. High settings are best used to reheat dishes using the microwave with a fan over the range. High power settings are also perfect when cooking ground meat, fish or vegetables with your microwave over cooktop.
There are two types of ventilation available for over the counter microwaves: recirculating venting and external venting. The recirculating venting over the counter microwave is easier to install and is more energy-efficient but it is not as effective when it comes to ventilating as external venting. The recirculating vent uses a charcoal filter to remove odor and in general a filter can last between 6 months to a year. Frequent cooking could reduce the lifespan of the filter.
Exhaust fan speed
The exhaust fan speed is relevant for ductless over the range microwave. That means that the air is pushed inside the over the range microwave to make it pass through the filter as many times as possible, thus removing odors. The exhaust fan speed is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM) and you should look for 250 to 300 CFM to make sure that the air is properly cleaned in the best recirculating over the range microwave.
A noise comes from both the convection heating unit and the ventilation system that is installed on the unit. They are both using fans in order to move the hot air around the microwave so that will be making noise. The units we have featured on our list operate quietly and sometimes you cannot even tell if they are on – luckily you can tell by the interior lights if the unit is operating.
Ease of installation
The space saver over the range microwave we have featured in our reviews can all be installed without contracting a handyman to do the installation for you. If you follow the instructions it should be pretty simple to install your ventless over the range microwave.
We have featured units that have very different performance standards and fluctuate in price because of that. However, we have made sure to only feature cheap over the range microwave that is ideal when it comes to value for money.
Best Over Range Microwave Types
Over the range, microwave with front vent ovens generate radiation that excites the molecules that are present in food and it turns makes them vibrate and create heat this way. Turntables and walls that are mirrored are what microwaves used in order to cook the food evenly.
Convection ovens recirculate the heat using fans to cook the food evenly. By combining both microwave and convection cooking, you will cook faster. and the food will be cooked perfectly even throughout. Convection/microwave combination offers both cooking methods at the same time thus greatly reducing the cooking time required while also ensuring that the food will be perfectly cooked everywhere.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Based on our extensive tests and comparing to the other products on our list we have reached the conclusion that the best rated over the range microwave available at the moment is the Sharp 850W Over-the-Range Convection Microwave. It offers enough cooking power to satisfy the needs of any household while maintaining an accessible price tag. We strongly believe that this is the best over the range microwave 2020. Mykitchenadvisor features reviews on other household items that might interest you.