- 1 10 Best Meat Thermometer
- 2 Buyer’s Guide
- 2.1 How to Choose the Best Product
- 2.2 Best Meat Thermometer Types
- 3 Our Recommendation for 2020
10 Best Meat Thermometer
There is no need to guess cooking temperatures with Kizen Instapen waterproof talking meat thermometer around. It gives readings in just 2-3 seconds at ±1°accuracy across -58°F-572°F by voice or on its bright LCD screen. It is useful in places with poor visibility, readings are displayed on a bright LCD backlit screen. Its durable ABS plastic body tolerates accidental drops, perfect for use indoors and outdoors. This thermometer automatically switches off after 10 minutes of no use. It's ideal for measuring the temperature of meat, beverages, deep-frying, and making candies.
Why We Like It
- Highly durable and resilient with its strong break-resistant and waterproof body
- Includes 2 CR2450 batteries, free eCookbook, meat temp guide with 4 Velcro dots to hang it, plus a manual
- Has a 100% money-back lifetime warranty
- Fully retractable with an internal magnet with a large hang hole for secure storage
Lavatools Javelin can be considered the best digital meat thermometer due to its ± 0.9°F accuracy. It is easy to use for providing rapid readings in 3-4 seconds for most cases. This thermometer can be used to measure not only meat heat but also liquids, candy, and baked goods.
It is splash-resistant and durably built with high-quality 100% BPA-free polycarbonate to prevent cracking and wrapping. It also prevents 99.9% bacterial growth from raw foods thanks to its Zeomic silver-based bacterial covering. It can be used for more than 4,000 hours on a single battery.
Why We Like It
- Has a lifetime warranty
- NSF approved for both professional plus commercial use
- Has a magnetic back to attach to ovens or refrigerators
- Switches off automatically after an hour with a range of -40 to 482°F
This dual-probe ThermoPro food thermometer lets you monitor two meat types or use one sensor as an oven probe. It has a mobile receiver range of 300 feet that gives updates while you are away from the kitchen. Thermometer temperature range is 32°F to 572°F, and its accuracy is ±°1.8F.
Timer and temperature settings are saved even after it is off. Readings are in Fahrenheit and Celsius. It has approved by USDA settings with alarms to prevent overcooking of different meat types. It can be used to measure the temperature of meat, food, grill, BBQ, oven plus smoker heat.
Why We Like It
- No synch required to set up for hands-free use at a remote range to a maximum of 300 feet
- FCC and CE certified, and ROHS approved
- Includes 4 AAA batteries, a receiver, a transmitter, 2 probes, splash-proof receiver, belt clip and a manual
- Backlit LCD simplifies night-time grilling
- Its transmitter's wire can be hooked on the oven door or used as a stand
This FoodOmeter digital waterproof meat thermometer can survive accidental waterfalls while its comfortable grip provides for better handling. It has a bright LCD with backlit light with a display resolution of 0.1°C. It prolongs the battery by automatically switching off after 10 minutes of no use, plus, it is easily recalibrated.
Switching temperature readings between Fahrenheit and Celsius is so easy. There are minimum and maximum temperature records with a 2-5 second response time. Its hold reading function prevents readout display from changing.
- Ideal for immediate kitchen and grilling use
- Waterproof with a back magnet and includes a laminated meat temperature guide
- Complaints of probe stick plus its color coming off in two months
There's no need to wait for hot grill temperatures to settle with the Alpha Grillers meat thermometer. It gives readings in 2-5 seconds at an accuracy of ±1°F on an extra-large dial with backlight. It has a magnetic back, is calibrated, provides minimum and maximum temperature, auto on and off, and hold features.
It's perfect for gas, charcoal, electric grills, plus infrared testing for both indoors and outdoors. It is also ideal for measuring deep-frying oil while brewing beer or wine and while making bread.
- Waterproof with a lifetime money-back guarantee
- Includes a button battery with a laminated meat temp guide
- Unit auto powers off after flipping its probe back
- Complaints of probe pulling free from the body while washing it
This simple but practically designed best kitchen thermometer gives accurate readings in 3-5 seconds at the push of a button. Its foldable probe quickly opens to take readings plus folds back into place to keep the probe clean and safe.
The probe gives measurements in °C and °F on a backlit LCD. It's easy to use where its magnetic back and hook provides for convenient storage. It conserves battery power by switching off after 10 minutes. It can be used to measure temperatures of BBQ, meat, food, liquid, milk, and even candy.
- Foldable 3.9'' food grade stainless steel probe for safety
- The backlit LCD makes it easy to take readings
- Gives °C/°F readings in 3-5 seconds at an accuracy of ±0.9°F/C
- Comes with a manual, AAA battery with a 3-year warranty
- It is not designed to be left in an oven
- Cannot be left inserted in extremely hot foods or liquids for more than a minute
There's no fear of burning your hands while measuring temperatures with this 4.7'' long stainless Harbor meat thermometer. It has On and Off buttons, a range of -58°F to 572°F and gives measurements to a ±0.1°C/F resolution
Its thin needle tip gives precise, quick temperatures of meats, milk, water, bread, jam, and chocolate. Its protective sheath makes it easy to carry and store while its 10minute auto-shutoff feature extends battery life. This thermometer is easy to use by just inserting it into any food or liquid. It also gives ultra-fast readings within 4-6 seconds.
- Includes battery, user manual, meat temperature guide, protective sheath, and 1x3 years warranty
- Best performing instant-read thermometer
- Has an ultra-clear LCD screen display
- The top electronic part is not waterproof
This ThermoPro is preset with USDA approved settings for measuring the internal heat of different meat types at different cooking levels. It also has a countdown and timer to help you manually set temperatures. Its wire can tolerate heat up to 716°F. Thanks to its 40'' stainless steel mesh cable and 6.5'' food grade stainless steel probe.
It's pocket-sized and convenient to carry around and use in oven, smoker, or stove-tops. There are multiple mounting options to hang on tabletops, walls, and refrigerators with its magnetic back. It's alarm rings to identify when the ideal temperature is reached.
- Comes with preset USDA approved temperatures plus a 5-recipe cookbook
- The large LCD screen with huge digits make reading temperatures easy
- Timer for up to 99 hours and 59 minutes with a range of 32°F to 572°F at high accuracy of ±1.8°F/1°C
- Has a lifetime warranty
- Poor customer service
- A cheaply made probe that won't last long
The Oprol Bluetooth thermometer has 6 probes giving you 6 different meat or grill/smoker heat at a time. Its free downloadable APP lets you wirelessly monitor food temperatures within 196ft range outdoors and 100ft range indoors.
An alarm emits on the probe and phone when food is cooked to your preferred level. There's no need to check on food constantly, which makes cooking so much easier. Its 11 preset heat settings with provision help customize food temperatures too. It gives wireless readings on LCD screen and phone through its free wireless app.
- Have 6 probes to personalize food doneness with simultaneous meat readings
- Strongback magnet attaches it on most metal surfaces
- Has a 12-month warranty from date of purchase
- Has a range of 32-716°F and 0-380°C
- Includes 2 BBQ claws, 6 probes with racks and 1 manual
- Not safe to use in dishwashers or microwave ovens
- Complaints of it not working after one use
The GDealer gives super-fast digital readings within 4-6 seconds for meat and 4-20 seconds for liquids. Its large LCD is °F/°C switchable, while its auto-shutoff feature after 10 minutes of usage saves battery life. It has a 4.5'' long stainless-steel probe with 180° rotation design and a light button for better readings.
This thermometer has a calibration feature and even keeps readings locked to read temperatures after removing from food easily. It's perfect for measuring food, meat, candy, milk, and bathwater temperatures in kitchen and outdoor cooking. Its detailed meat temp chart lets you check your favorite food temperature.
- Comes in a food-safe ABS plastic case and magnetic back for easy storage
- Wide range of -58°F to 572°F with a ±0.1°F accuracy
- 100% money-back lifetime guarantee
- Useless magnetic back
- No backlight
Here’s some help in selecting the best digital meat thermometer for your barbeque or grilling night. First, know that meat thermometers come in various types.
How to Choose the Best Product
Here are a few factors to consider before buying a thermometer:
While accuracy is essential, don’t fall for accuracy gimmicks. Just look for a reputed brand model with guaranteed accuracy.
You also need units that give quick readings, typically producing reading within 3-10 seconds.
Most brands are simple devices that give you your meat temp. However, best digital meat thermometers offer extra features like giving readings in Celsius and Fahrenheit. Some give a beep when ready, and others have timers to monitor both time and temperature.
A wide heat range makes a better buy because it lets you measure various heats of different meals.
It’s worth checking its manufacturer’s warranty if you plan to use it for a long time. Most brands offer decent warranties ranging from one to five years.
There are analog and digital devices with respective advantages and disadvantages. While digital ones are better with more features, they are more expensive. However, if you prefer ease and comfort, then digital meat thermometers are a better option.
Grip and insulation
Look for something offering maximum grip and insulation to prevent burning fingers while using oven-safe units.
A clean probe prevents contamination and health problems while checking meat temperatures. Look for something easy to clean, something waterproof and that doesn’t have any complicated shapes.
It is essential for digital meat thermometers, where high battery capacity is a must in heavy-duty use devices.
Best Meat Thermometer Types
Meat thermometers for oven
Yes, as expected, they can be safely left in the oven to ensure it is heated to the right temperatures. They are traditional bimetallic-coiled in structure and measure temperatures from 100°F to 600°F.
Oven thermometers are best used while cooking meat joints or large items like roast or turkey. The best oven thermometer is placed in raw and cold meat before placing it in the oven. Place meat in the oven and watch its dial for the perfect reading, indicating your meat is ready to eat.
Meat thermometers for grilling
The best grill thermometer tells you when it’s time to take your meat off your grill and let it rest. Some have wireless sensors to monitor meat temps remotely and even sets off alarms when meat is ready.
Meat thermometers for a smoker
Meat thermometers for smokers are designed to use in a smoky atmosphere. They prevent you from having to open smokers to check meat temperatures repeatedly.
Wired versions connect wood and charcoal BBQ pits to an exterior display unit to watch heat changes. Wireless variants let you monitor temperatures remotely.
These give you real-time readings transmitted through a receiver while it remains in meat. Some are remotely controlled, and some even talk.
These devices have preset temperatures programmed to minimal cooking temperatures for different meats as per USDA recommendations. You can even manually program your preferred temperatures to let you cook without worrying about overcooking food.
These have a user-friendly app which, when installed on a device, sends alerts to you when meat is done. They are compatible with most iOS and Android devices and connect through Bluetooth.
Instant read thermometer
These are accurate and durable instruments that instantly display food temperatures upon inserting into cooked products.
They are stuck in food like chicken and turkey before cooking. A spring is secured by a soft material that pops up when your food is ready and done.
These are for one-time use, to be disposed of when you are done.
Our Recommendation for 2020
This thermometer tells you temperature readings and displays them on a bright LCD screen. It’s durable thanks to its strong ABS plastic body.
The thermometer has a lifetime warranty. It is one of the most needed appliances if you love cooking meat!
Have you chosen a cooking thermometer for your kitchen? Which one from our list is suitable for you? What are you looking for in the best meat thermometer? We’d appreciate your comments!