- 1 What is Jasmine Rice?
- 2 Jasmine Rice Compared to Other Types of Rice
- 3 Best Jasmine Rice Brand Overview
- 4 What to Look for When Choosing Jasmine Rice?
- 5 FAQ
- 6 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
What is Jasmine Rice?
Talking about jasmine rice, we want to point out that this type, in particular, is native to Thailand, but it is also cultivated in other countries such as Cambodia and Vietnam. It is characterized by a sweet taste and fragrant aroma. You can usually find white jasmine rice, but there are brown and black varieties as well. It is long grain rice, but compared with other varieties, the best jasmine rice is softer and stickier when cooked.
Is Jasmine Rice Healthy?
These differences in nutritional benefits usually depend on various things such as soil, cultivation process, cooking method, etc. When it comes to jasmine rice brands, it is necessary to say it has moderate caloric content. It is also considered as food with a high glycemic index, which means that it raises blood sugar levels. At the same time, the best jasmine rice brand does offer various health benefits.
Source of Carbohydrates
One serving offers you a total of 160 calories that come from 35 grams of carbohydrates. Two grams of carbs come from fiber. Most of the carbs come from starch.
Good Source of Iron and Vitamin B
Brown jasmine rice is also a moderate source of iron. A serving supplies you with 1.1 mg of iron, which covers about 14 percent of daily needs for men and 6 percent for women. It is also packed with vitamin B, which is crucial for cell metabolism.
Although bran grain and germ are extracted from white, they are preserved in brown jasmine rice. That makes it a whole grain food. Whole grains are beneficial in terms of lowering risks for cardiovascular diseases, diabetes type, etc.
Jasmine Rice Compared to Other Types of Rice
Jasmine Rice Vs Basmati Rice
Indeed you will find both steamed jasmine rice and basmati frequently in Asian dishes. Basmati is cultivated in northern India and Pakistan, whereas, as we mentioned, jasmine rice originates from Thailand. When it comes to shape, basmati grains are long, slender, and needle-shaped, while jasmine is a bit shorter and rounder.
Jasmine Vs White Rice
White rice can come as short, medium, and long grain; jasmine is a long-grain rice that grows in Thailand. Standard white rice doesn’t have any smell. However, the brown jasmine variety is healthier.
Best Jasmine Rice Brand Overview
Mahatma Jasmine Rice
It is one of the Thai rice brands with a long tradition and excellent reputation. A bowl of completely organic jasmine rice contains six percent protein and twelve percent carbohydrates. If you follow the instructions, you will find that you can cook it effortlessly.
- Authentic Aromatic Thai Jasmine Rice
- Extra Long Grain Rice with a perfect soft and fluffy texture
- Ideal for rice salads, rice pilaf, oven-bakes and dessert rice pudding
- Naturally free of sodium, fat, cholesterol
- Gluten Free. Non-GMO Project Verified. Kosher Certified
|It can be combined with a lot of meals.||First-time preparation can be challenging.|
Dynasty Jasmine Rice
That is one of the jasmine rice brands worthy of queens and kings. Even though cooking is easy, you might want to use a rice cooker, at least until you get some experience. This jasmine rice brand goes well with different types of curry. This brand is affordable, even if you are on a tight budget.
|Affordable||You cant reseal the bag after opening it.|
|Simple to cook|
Three Ladies Jasmine Rice
This type of rice can be a good option for people who are starting to explore Thai cuisine. There are plenty of meals you can prepare with this brand. It proved to be the best for making stir fry and as the best sushi rice brand because it is very sticky when cooked.
- Three Ladies Brand Jasmine rice, 5 pounds
- Also known as Thai fragrant rice
- Product of Thailand
|Toxin-free||You need to wash it before cooking|
Thai Hom Mali Jasmine Rice
It is one of the favorite options, according to jasmine rice reviews. While cooking, you will get a unique floral scent. The grains will be soft and fluffy, and as such, they will enhance the taste of any curry. It comes in a solid, sealed, BPA free plastic bag.
- Our Premium Long Grain White Jasmine Hom Mali Rice is grown in Thailand. It is 100% Authentic and contains an Sweet Aroma & Delicious Flavor
- Our Jasmine Rice is soft, consistent in quality, size, and flavor. It has a very low breakage, low wastage, and low stickiness. Perfect for use in Kitchens or Restaurants. Our Rice is rated highly amongst Top Chefs.
- The rice grains are slender, non sticky, and fluffy that makes them sit well with most curries and cuisines. The rice can be cooked easily on a stove top, microwave or a rice cooker.
- We take immense care, ensure top quality and source directly from Farm to Table. We use the best packaging for our rice to keep the grains fresh and preserve the quality of our rice.
- Our 12.5 lbs (5.68 kg) rice bags are a great value for money - over 120 Servings. Our rice is Gluten Free, Vegan, Rich in Nutrients, Low Carbs, Non Bio-engineered,
Pride of India Jasmine Rice
Unlike many others, this best brand of jasmine rice comes in a 1.5-pound jar. It is a white rice packet with vitamin B and fiber, which makes it super nutritious. The grains are shorter.
- 100% Natural Thai Hom Mali White Jasmine Rice
- Raw Healthy Rice - Sweet Flavor & Fragrant Aroma
- Sliky Soft White Fluffy Grains upon cooking - 16 servings per jar
- Sold in Sealed Food grade gourmet Pet plastic jars
- GMO FREE, GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN, BPA FREE
|Extended freshness||The package isn’t eco friendly.|
|Rich in nutrients|
Asian Best Jasmine Rice
This brand allows people on a tight budget to enjoy the best meals of Thai and Indian cuisine. It offers incredible quality, long grain rice with a unique aroma. The rice is very sweet and sticky.
- Naturally Fragrant
- Selected Premium Quality
- Low Cholesterol
- Low Fat
- Low Sodium
|Sweet||Great for sticky rice and sushi, but not for all recipes|
What to Look for When Choosing Jasmine Rice?
Jasmine Rice Types
We already mentioned this type of jasmine rice. Generally, it is a healthier variation and contains the features of whole-grain foods. However, it is not as flavorful as white.
The white option is what most of us think of when we hear about jasmine rice. It is the variation that comes with a rich, fragrant aroma. It is, however, higher in calories and has a higher glycemic index than brown rice.
Texture & Taste
Jasmine rice is typically sweet, and especially when it is organic. As far as texture goes, it is clear that all brands of jasmine rice are sticky. However, the level of stickiness varies depending on the brand.
Production & Origin
The country of origin of jasmine rice is Thailand. However, it is cultivated in other countries of Southeast Asia, such as Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia. If you want to buy rice produced in Thailand, make sure to look for the green Thai Hom Mali logo.
Can Jasmine Rice Go Bad?
In general, if it is not cooked, rice has an indefinite shelf life. However, you will see that there is an expiration date on each package. It indicates that it is best to use it before that date, but it doesn’t mean it goes bad after.
Can Jasmine Rice Be Reheated?
Of course, you can easily reheat already cooked rice. The main thing is to do it properly, so it is safe to eat it. The thing is that rice can contain a type of bacteria called Bacillus cereus. To avoid foodborne illness, it is necessary to put leftover rice in the fridge as quickly as possible.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
And, there you go – it’s about all information we could give you about the best jasmine rice brand options. As you noticed, there are plenty of brands out there, and each of them offers something unique. That is why it is vital to understand everything in detail, so you can figure out which one is the best jasmine rice brand 2020.