- 1 Top 9 Best Electric Skillet: Comparison Chart
- 1.1 Best Overall - Electric Skillet Foldaway 06857 by Presto Review
- 1.2 Easy Cleaning - Electric Skillet with Glass Cover 06858 by Presto Review
- 1.3 Ceramic nonstick surface - Electric Ceramic Skillet National 06856 by Presto Review
- 1.4 Scratch Resistant - Electric Skillet EG-8619 by Maxi-Matic Review
- 1.5 Adjustable Temperature Control: Electric Skillet ES-08 by Nesco Review
- 1.6 Titanium coated - Electric Skillet with Glass Lid by Bella Review
- 1.7 A Large Cooking Area - Electric Skillet SK1215BC by Black & Decker Review
- 1.8 Family Size - Electric Skillet DRG214RD by Dash Review
- 1.9 3-in-1 Functionality: Electric Indoor Grill Pot & Skillet 3-IN-1 by Chefman Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Electric Skillet
- 2.1 What Is An Electric Skillet?
- 2.2 How To Use Electric Skillet?
- 2.3 What To Cook In Electric Skillet?
- 2.4 Electric Skillet Vs. Stove Top
- 2.5 How To Choose The Best Electric Skillet
- 2.6 Best Electric Skillet Types
- 3 Best Electric Skillet FAQs
- 3.1 How To Clean Electric Skillet?
- 3.2 Can You Put An Electric Skillet In The Dishwasher?
- 3.3 Can You Use An Electric Skillet In A Hotel Room?
- 3.4 What Is Medium Heat On An Electric Skillet?
- 3.5 Can You Bake In An Electric Skillet?
- 3.6 How Many Watts Does An Electric Skillet Use?
- 3.7 Can You Fry Fish In An Electric Skillet?
- 3.8 Can An Electric Skillet Be Used As A Slow Cooker?
- 3.9 Can You Use A Skillet To Keep Food Warm?
- 4 Verdict And Our Recommendation For 2020
Top 9 Best Electric Skillet: Comparison Chart
Best Overall - Electric Skillet Foldaway 06857 by Presto Review
- Heavy cast aluminum base features a deluxe nonstick surface, inside & out. skillet pan & cover are dishwasher safe with the heat control removed.
- Built-in spout for pouring liquids from skillet doubles as a spoon & spatula holder when cooking & serving.
- Fold down handles to detach skillet pan from base. with handles folded in, the base & handles store in skillet for compact storage.
- Dimensions: 19. 81" x 12. 25" x 8. 06"; Pan dimensions: 15. 75" x 11. 87" x 2. 87" approximately
- Tempered glass cover & stay-cool handles allow skillet to double as a buffet server
Easy Cleaning - Electric Skillet with Glass Cover 06858 by Presto Review
- Roasts, fries, grills, stews, bakes, makes casseroles and one-dish meals. Luxurious tempered glass cover. Deluxe nonstick surface inside and out
- Handy for every meal. Great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and entertaining. Low profile design makes it ideal for buffet-style serving
- Convenient! Big 16/inch pan has high sidewalls for extra cooking and serving capacity, plus it's more efficient than a range burner or over. Heavy cast aluminum pan is virtually warp-proof
- Fully immersible with the heat control removed. Control Master heat control maintains the desired temperature automatically
- Tempered glass cover and stay cool handle allow easy access and visibility
Ceramic nonstick surface - Electric Ceramic Skillet National 06856 by Presto Review
- Roast fry grill stew bake make casseroles and more
- Ceramic nonstick surface inside and out for stick-free cooking and easy cleaning
- Jumbo 16-inch pan with high sidewalls provides extra cooking and serving capacity
- More efficient to use than a range burner or oven
- Heavy cast aluminum pan is virtually warp-proof
Scratch Resistant - Electric Skillet EG-8619 by Maxi-Matic Review
- 3. 25-inch extra deep pan with 8-quart capacity provides ample room for preparing a range of dishes
- 16-inch x 13-inch cooking dimensions
- Tall, straight sides prevent splatters; heavy duty nonstick coating with stone finish releases food easily and cleans up quickly
- Unique Fully Embedded/Cast-in M-shaped heating elements for faster, even heating
- Easy-pour spout
Adjustable Temperature Control: Electric Skillet ES-08 by Nesco Review
- 8-Inch electric skillet with deep interior for roasting or frying
- Easy to read, adjustable temperature control
- Nonstick interior for easy cleanup
- Sturdy glass lid with stay cool handle and safety vent
- Wash the skillet with a soft soapy dish cloth. Rinse well and dry. Do not immerse skillet in water or place in dishwasher. Only the lid is dishwasher safe.
Titanium coated - Electric Skillet with Glass Lid by Bella Review
- ELECTRIC SKILLET: This hardworking skillet features a 1200 watt heating system, cast aluminum base & dishwasher safe tempered glass lid. Convenient cool-touch handles make for easy handling & the fully immersible skillet makes cleanup a breeze.
- DURABLE & EFFICIENT: This skillet's unique ceramic non-stick coating is 8 times more durable & cooks up to 30% faster than standard non-stick coatings. It's reinforced with titanium for outstanding strength & scratch resistance
- KITCHEN ESSENTIAL: This multi-functional unit is a must for every kitchen. It can roast, fry, sauté, steam or be used as a buffet. It's perfect for family meals like omelets, ratatouilles, risottos, paellas & more
- KITCHEN ESSENTIALS: BELLA offers a full range of high-quality products including air fryers, waffle irons, toasters, coffee makers, electric kettles, slow cookers, espresso machines, griddles & juicers.
- MIX IT UP: The kitchen should be fun. With BELLA It can be. We provide you with quick & convenient kitchen solutions to simplify your hectic life, including small kitchen appliances, cookware & housewares.
A Large Cooking Area - Electric Skillet SK1215BC by Black & Decker Review
- 12" x 15" x 2" deep cooking surface, great for family cooking or entertaining buffet style
- Quick-release variable temperature probe releases quickly for serving and cleaning
- Non-stick coated surface
- Easy to use dial control can be turned low for a keep warm setting
- Tempered glass lid allows you to view cooking progress
Family Size - Electric Skillet DRG214RD by Dash Review
- LARGE 20 CUP CAPACITY: 14 inches of cooking surface and 2.5-inch depth provides up to 20 cups of cooking capacity (feeding approx. 6 people). Perfect for large families or entertaining at parties - anything from burgers, pancakes, pizza, stir fry, fajitas, and more
- RAPID HEAT: Cook (or bake), breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, or a variety of snacks to cater to even the pickiest of eaters. Quickly heats up to 450℉ in less time than it takes you to heat the stovetop or oven
- TEMPERED GLASS LID: Allows you to safely check on meals during cooking, while proper sealing conserves heat and flavor, so you can serve great meals each and every time
- SAFER: The TruGlide PFOA-free, non-stick surface provides an even cook for consistent results and makes clean up a snap. The cool touch handle allows for secure handling during and after use - easily transfer meals from kitchen to table safely
- INCLUDES: Backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty, the 1440-watt Family Electric Skillet + Oven includes anti-slip feet, removable cords, recipe book and recipe database access (all non-electric parts are easily wiped clean)
3-in-1 Functionality: Electric Indoor Grill Pot & Skillet 3-IN-1 by Chefman Review
- GRILLED PERFECTION: Get that great grilled flavor right from your kitchen counter, making it easy to grill no matter the weather or from any location. Adjustable temperature range from 200° to 450° F makes it easy to cook a variety of food to perfection; great for grilling veggies, burgers, fish, chicken and more
- VERSATILE: Large 10-inch diameter and deep 3-quart pot offer a variety of cooking options; Grill, Slow Cook, Steam, Simmer and Stir Fry. The tempered glass clear view lid makes it easy to keep an eye on your food while it’s cooking so you can get picture perfect results every time
- RAISED GRILL: Raised grill surface allows fat to drip away as food cooks, for healthy and delicious dishes, every time; non-stick surface allows for smoother cooking and easy cleanup
- EASY CLEAN UP: Temperature control knob is removable; the cooking pan and lid are dishwasher safe making cleaning quick and easy
- RESOURCES: cETL approved with advanced safety technology for long lasting durability, & 1-year assurance provided by Chefman, so you can purchase worry-free - we've got your back! For information on how to use your product, scroll down for a PDF User Guide. 1200 Watts/120 Volts – RJ05-R
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Electric Skillet
Choosing the best electric skillet may be overwhelming because there are so many models available on the market, and the prices vary greatly. But our team will try to make this experience less stressful for you, contrary, it must be interesting and fun. Our first tip – you should opt for appliances that fall in the category of the best electric fry pans. Focus on this category since you won’t go wrong with a high-quality unit. Such a model will have premium features and give you the opportunity to make the most delicious and healthy meals.
In the section below, we are going to reveal secrets and cover everything you should know about expensive & cheap electric skillets and how to choose the right one. Besides, you’ll find the answers to the most frequently asked questions from people who have been looking for such units. Keep reading!
What Is An Electric Skillet?
An electric frying pan is just like your regular frypan for a stovetop, but it’s far more convenient and packed with advanced features. The device is plugged into an electric socket and this way enables the fry or heat food. Some of the electric skillets come with various bells and whistles to provide even and faster cooking. You can use the appliance for any kind of food preparing, be it sauteing, frying or simple warming. You can even use it instead of the best indoor electric grill.
To sum up, this versatile unit doesn’t require a stovetop and takes little space on the kitchen countertop. All you need is to plug it in, set the temperature and watch the meal being prepared – no overcooking or burns.
How To Use Electric Skillet?
Using an electric fry pan is easier than you think!
- Plug the skillet in
- Set the temperature – if your device has this option
- When a skillet is hot, put the food items in it to be cooked
- Once you are done with cooking, unplug the unit
- Let it cool down
- Finally, clean the device
What To Cook In Electric Skillet?
If you want to master your new electric appliance, you should know what you can use it for. Most electric fry pans, whether they are professional electric skillet or not, can handle different cooking methods, such as the following:
- Stir-frying – ingredients are cooked with a small amount of oil or fat, you have to stir food regularly.
- Sauteing – food is cooked at medium or fast heat and uses small amounts of oil or grease.
- Pan-broiling – this method involves quick boiling or browning without oil or fat.
- Braising – this method uses dry and wet heat. It means that the ingredients are seared at very high temperatures and then covered with a lid and left at the low temperature for cooking. You can use electric skillet with lid for this purpose.
Electric Skillet Vs. Stove Top
Any kitchen appliance has its own advantages and drawbacks. So, you should know them to choose a unit which will meet all your needs.
As we already know an electric skillet is a multifunctional kitchen gadget that can withstand almost any cooking task. But let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of the best electric skillet.
- This appliance is very versatile – it can make even the best grill pan
- Most of such units are non-stick electric skillets; the food doesn’t burn while being cooked
- They are bigger and deeper than typical pans; a deep electric skillet allows you to cook much food at once
- Such a unit is easy and fast to clean
- They have good temp control, you can adjust it to your preference and needs
- The best electric skillets feature even heat distribution which helps to cook food evenly.
- Electric skillets are dependant on electricity, hence, if it’s cut off, the appliance becomes useless
- Like any other electric device, such skillets may be hazardous if not used carefully
- The coating on the nonstick electric skillet can break down after a while.
Stovetops are great kitchen appliances too. They are a kind of pressure cooker that uses heat and high temperature to boil water and keep the steam inside. Stovetops are affordable and do not use much energy. So, what are their pros and cons?
- Stovetops use direct heat, therefore, they cook fast
- Some of the units feature underneath, thus can be used for baking
- Stovetops are not limited to 1 source of energy or heat
- They boast temperature control and timer that are very helpful when you are cooking
- Food spills can’t damage anything
- Stovetops don’t provide even heat distribution, it results in hot spots
- They are rather big and take up much space in the kitchen
- Do not have a nonstick coating, so food might burn
Chefs and cooks recommend having both an electric skillet and stovetop in the kitchen. They are functional and perform great when you are cooking. Choosing between an electric frypan and stovetop is as challenging as comparing a frying pan vs. skillet since they are both much-needed units in the kitchen.
How To Choose The Best Electric Skillet
In this section, you’ll find the most important characteristics that you have to consider when selecting the best electric skillet for your kitchen. So, what to look for in such appliances?
If you are going to move your device, the weight aspect matters for you. Depending on your needs you’ll be able to find small or large electric skillets. A small, portable electric skillet weights about 4.5 lbs whereas a large one – about 9 lbs.
When you are selecting an appliance, you have to make sure that it’s covered with non-adhesive materials. There are lots of high-quality electric frying pans made of various materials. You can find the best ceramic electric skillet, cast iron electric skillet, copper electric skillet, stainless steel electric skillet or Teflon-coated aluminum electric skillet. All of them are safe; however, each material has its pros and cons.
It depends on your preference and needs which one to pick.
Mostly, electric skillet coating is made of stainless steel or Teflon. Both these materials don’t influence the cooking process and are healthy. However, stainless steel is more durable and easier to maintain material, you can use different utensils with it. Teflon is durable too, but if you overheat it, the coating can get damaged. There is an electric skillet without non-stick coating on the market too. If you prefer this type of coating, you’ll need to use much oil or grease while cooking.
An electric frypan has the same shape as a typical skillet. If you cook for a small family (2-4 people) you may need a mini electric skillet – 8-12 inches. For a bigger family, you might want a skillet sized about 12-16 inches. An electric frying pan may have different shapes – square, circular, oblong, or rectangular. The shape doesn’t influence the quality of cooking, but it determines the amount of food you can cook at once and the storage space.
A circular or round electric skillet is a timeless classic, you can find smaller and bigger sizes. A unit of this shape can make an excellent electric skillet for pancakes.
Square-shaped appliances offer more space for cooking than round ones; you can easily find a square 16-inch electric skillet.
Hunting for the best electric skillet for frying chicken? Consider an appliance of rectangular shape.
One of the numerous benefits of electric skillets is that you can set and maintain the temperature you need. That’s why they are excellent electric grill skillets. Temperatures may vary between low 175F and 400F. Generally, you can cook in either low or high heat; however, some electric frypans have an option of warm heat mode.
The majority of electric frypans come with a see-through, glass cover which allows monitoring the cooking process without opening the unit.
Also, it’s better if an electric skillet with a lid has a locking mechanism. Otherwise, it’ll be difficult to transport it from place to place, especially with much stew or soup.
Usually, handles are non-metallic and stay cool so that you can hold the unit without mitts. However, employ cautions when transporting your skillet or you can burn yourself.
Mostly, electric skillets are made of high-quality materials, hence they are durable, sturdy and built to last. However, if you want the most durable appliance, consider a cast iron electric skillet.
If you need this option, you’d better choose an electric skillet with a removable pan. Otherwise, you won’t be able to put the unit into a dishwashing machine. Besides, you have to check the manufacturer’s instructions whether your device is dishwasher safe.
How Easy It Is To Clean
Some electric frying pans are dishwasher-safe, some require hand-washing only. Others can have detachable parts which are dishwasher-safe. However, it’s not too difficult to clean these appliances as well as other kitchenware.
Best Electric Skillet Types
Electric skillets come with different features and sizes, also there are 4 types available. Without too many details here, it’s still important to learn the types and have a general idea so that you can select the right appliance for your kitchen. The electric fry pans can be divided into types according to their functionality and sizes.
Small-size Electric Skillet
A small electric skillet is a great choice for a student, traveler, single or a couple; they have heating surfaces that measure about 5 x 5 inches. Despite its size, it cooks as tasty as ever. And if you are not looking for something big, a mini electric skillet will do perfectly for you. Some of such appliances boast deeper design so that you can put more ingredients in. Overall, a small size electric skillet is good for those who are restricted by modest size of the kitchen, this unit won’t take too much space on the countertop.
Mid-sized Electric Skillet
A mid-sized electric frying pan has a larger heating surface than smaller pans. It can hold more food items comfortably; this size fits for a bigger family or medium catering business and takes up more space in the kitchen. A mid-sized electric skillet heats food faster and more evenly than small-size ones; it might have temperature control.
Large-sized Electric Skillet
Large-sized electric skillet boasts the biggest size of all types, some models can even measure 40 x 40 inches; it often has temperature control and non-stick coating. Such a pan will definitely take up much space, but it accommodates large amounts of food at a time and heats up fast & evenly. This size is excellent for commercial purposes.
We all want to buy and use a piece of equipment that can do more than 1 function. If so, why not opt for a multifunctional skillet which can handle more than just one task. It’ll allow you to perform all the different cooking functions. Besides, it can be packed with additional parts such as a flat plate so that you can deep fry, steam and more thanks to changing plates. These appliances often have temperature control, you can change temperatures between about 175F and 430F.
The multifunctionality of these electric skillets is just priceless in the modern kitchen.
To sum up, despite different sizes of electric skillets, they still perform the same functions – cooking and heating food faster, more evenly and with fewer efforts from you. They are super convenient devices! The size of the electric frying pan determines just the amount of food it can hold, and how much space it takes.
Best Electric Skillet FAQs
How To Clean Electric Skillet?
Some of the electric skillets are dishwasher-safe; however, manufacturers recommend strictly handwashing these devices. Other electric frying pans have detachable parts, and you can put these parts into a dishwasher. Before you begin washing the unit, let it cool down considerably. Use mild detergent to wash your skillet, it must help to get rid of stains and grime. When you are done with washing, ensure to dry the device completely.
Can You Put An Electric Skillet In The Dishwasher?
Not every model. Even though an electric skillet is labeled “dishwasher-safe”, experts recommend hand wash the unit. But if you do need this option, always check the manufacturer’s instruction to get to know whether you can put your electric frypan into a dishwasher.
Can You Use An Electric Skillet In A Hotel Room?
The quick answer is – no. If you are in-suite, you’ll get the full kitchen; in a villa, you’ll get a kitchen and a stove, while in de-luxe or single bedroom you’ll only find a microwave and/or a coffee pot. In B&B hostel you’ll get a fully shared kitchen that you may share with up to 20 people.
You hardly can cook with your electric skillet or any other device in a single bedroom. Smoke detectors will sprinkle as soon as you begin to cook. Hotel rooms are not designed to prepare meals there since it’s a flame hazard.
What Is Medium Heat On An Electric Skillet?
If you use an electric skillet with a Fahrenheit setting, the medium setting is about 300F on the majority of appliances.
Can You Bake In An Electric Skillet?
An electric frying pan is a multifunctional device, and it can perform baking as well as cooking or frying. What can you bake in this unit? Well, a lot, for example, potatoes, biscuits, cornbread, certain kinds of cakes like muffins, coffee cakes, cake mixes, and more. You can even put a baking pan that can fit a flat electric skillet.
How Many Watts Does An Electric Skillet Use?
A low wattage electric skillet and griddle use as low as 1000 watts; average models run a range of 1500 watts or about 120 volts. Some of the higher-rated units use around 1800 watts.
Can You Fry Fish In An Electric Skillet?
Yes, you can. Here is a great receipt for you.
- Preheat the appliance uncovered up to 355F
- Add some oil, it’s better if you use canola oil
- Put coated fish fillets in the frying pan and fry until it becomes golden brown (6-8 minutes)
- Flip the fish just ones
Enjoy your meal!
Can An Electric Skillet Be Used As A Slow Cooker?
The best ceramic electric skillet can act as a slow cooker. A modern electric frying pan has the ability to maintain a controlled temperature. It can be used for cooking stews and other oven-type dishes. Also, you can make spaghetti sauce in it.
Can You Use A Skillet To Keep Food Warm?
Yes, you can use an electric skillet to keep meals warm at a good eating temperature. This feature is highly appreciated by both homes and commercials.
Verdict And Our Recommendation For 2020
If you want to cook healthier, faster, and more comfortably an electric frying pan is a must for you. Besides, it’s a true space-saver in your kitchen. Note, that you should only opt for the best electric skillet 2020 as it features a high-quality and lots of advantageous characteristics. It will let you create many delicious treats for years to come.
So, when you are choosing a unit for your kitchen, you should check and be aware of all the technical specs. That’s why our team of experts on mykitchenadvisor.com has decided to create this post and choose the best product – Electric Skillet Foldaway 06857 by Presto. Now you know the differences between models, their best features and can make an educated choice. Our final tip for you – before making a purchase, read customers’ reports to get to know all the pros and cons which real users have noticed.
Have you found the right electric skillet for you? What features are the most important for you?