- 1 Top 10 Best Drinking Water Filters: Comparison Chart
- 1.1 Best Overall: APEC Drinking Water Filter System Review
- 1.2 Advanced Filter Technology: Brita Water Pitcher Review
- 1.3 Great for Big Households: Brita UltraMax Water Dispenser with Filter Review
- 1.4 Fast Installtation - Frizzlife Under Sink Water Filter Review
- 1.5 Long Lasting - Engdenton Faucet Water Filter Review
- 1.6 Easy Installation - Apex Countertop Drinking Water Filter Review
- 1.7 Improved Life Quality: Waterdrop Chubby 10-Cup Water Filter Pitcher Review
- 1.8 Certified by WQA: Woder WD-S-8K-DC Water Filtration System Review
- 1.9 Save Money - PUR Classic Faucet Mount Filter Review
- 1.10 High Performance Filtration - DuPont Premier Faucet Mount Drinking Water Filter Review
- 2 Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About the Best Drinking Water Filter
- 2.1 What Is A Water Filter?
- 2.2 Do Drinking Water Filters Work?
- 2.3 Benefits Of Drinking Water Filter
- 2.4 How Do Water Filters Work?
- 2.5 How to Choose the Best Drinking Water Filter?
- 2.6 Best Drinking Water Filter Types
- 3 Best Drinking Water Filter FAQ
- 3.1 How To Install Water Filter?
- 3.2 Should You Filter Tap Water?
- 3.3 How Long Do Water Filters Last?
- 3.4 Do I Need To Clean Water Filter?
- 3.5 How Do I Know If I Need To Replace Drinking Water Filter?
- 3.6 Does Drinking Water Filter Remove Bad Odor?
- 3.7 Do Water Filters Remove Fluoride?
- 4 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
Top 10 Best Drinking Water Filters: Comparison Chart
Best Overall: APEC Drinking Water Filter System Review
- Supreme quality - designed, engineered and assembled in USA to guarantee water safety & your health.
- US made cartridge uses food-grade calcium from trusted source for safe, proven water pH enhancement. Enjoy ultra-pure drinking water with added calcium minerals for improved ALKALINITY and great taste.
- WQA certified system. Premium long lasting filters used to treat tap/well water. Provide unlimited clean drinking water.
- America's No.1 rated water filter brand with 20 years of success guaranteeing trouble free, noise-free system for long lasting, dependable, pure drinking water.
- 2 year extended manufacturer warranty with registration. System comes with all parts and industry's best instructions and videos for an easy DIY experience.
Advanced Filter Technology: Brita Water Pitcher Review
- SMALL WATER PITCHER: This small, plastic water filtration pitcher is easy to pour and refill. The space efficient pitcher fits perfectly on refrigerator shelves and is great for families. Height 9.8; Width 4.45; Length/Depth 9.37; Weight 1.39 pounds
- CLEANER AND GREAT TASTING: The BPA free Brita filter reduces chlorine (taste and odor), copper, mercury, zinc and cadmium impurities found in tap water for cleaner great tasting water. Substances reduced may not be in all users' water
- FILTER CHANGE REMINDER: For optimum performance, a helpful status indicator on your filtered water pitcher notifies you when your water filter needs to be replaced
- REPLACEMENTS: Change Brita standard filters every 40 gallons, about 2 months for the average household for optimal performance – that’s 2.5x longer than Zerowater filters
Great for Big Households: Brita UltraMax Water Dispenser with Filter Review
- SPACE EFFICIENT: The BPA-Free UltraMax Water Dispenser holds 18 cups or 1.13 gallons of water which is great for families and fits neatly on countertops and refrigerator shelves. Height 10.47"; Width 5.67"; Length/Depth 14.37"; Weight 3 pounds
- CLEANER AND GREAT TASTING: The Brita standard filter reduces chlorine (taste and odor), copper, mercury, zinc and cadmium impurities found in tap water for cleaner great tasting water for the whole family. Substances reduced may not be in all users' water
- FILTER CHANGE REMINDER: A helpful sticker indicator on the water dispenser lets you keep track of when you last changed your water filter and when it needs to be replaced. Replace Brita filters every 40 gallons or every 2 months
- INSTANT POUR: This large, 18 cup filtered water dispenser has a spigot that makes pouring easy. With the flip top lid, refilling is a breeze
- REDUCE WASTE & SAVE: One Brita standard water filter can replace 300 standard 16 oz water bottles which saves you money and reduces plastic waste
Fast Installtation - Frizzlife Under Sink Water Filter Review
- TWO-STAGE ADVANCED WATER PURIFIER WITH 0.5 MICRON: The Frizzlife MK99 Water Filtration System include a TWO-STAGE High precise compoud filter, which has a unique technology that removes over 99.99% of contaminants while leaving in all essential minerals. Eliminates LEAD, HEAVY METALS, CHLORINE, CHROMIUM 6, MERCURY, RUST, VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS, CARCINOGENS, AND OTHER CONTAMINANTS, SUCH AS TURBIDITY, ORDORS AND BAD TASTES. Enjoy PURE AND HEALTHY WATER From the tap. NO more bottle water!
- FITS BOTH 1/2" AND 3/8" COLD WATER LINE: Super EASY Installation. Come with 3/8" DIRECT CONNECT hoses that fits standard 3/8" feed water valves under US kitchen sinks. The Inline water filter system also come with a 3/8" to 1/2" converter fittings allow the system directly install to the existing both 1/2" and 3/8" cold water line and faucet under your sink. Took less than 3 minutes and NO PLUMBING REQUIRED! New installation video available.
- BEST AUTO SHUT OFF DESIGN: Utilizing quick change twist-in installation design makes it take less than 3 minutes for you to install the system or doing a filter replacement. Provides quick twist connection for easy, tool-free, no mess filter replacement. The filter cap is designed with BUILT-IN shut off valve. You don't even need to shut off the water supply whenever you work on the filter cartridge replacement.
- HIGH FLOW RATE & MULTI-USAGE: Enjoy tap water as pure and healthy as spring fresh water. Tested Full Flow Rate ＞2.0GPM @40 psig. Good for cooking, washing fruits & veggies and cleaning dishes without watermarks.
- MONEY SAVING & 100% SATISFACTION: The under counter water filter system contains a core filter cartridge inside the housing, you will only need to replace the core part of the filter cartridge instead of throwing away the whole plastic part, it will save you much money on replacing the cartridge and will do a lot of helps on the environmental protection. Each cartridge with high capacity can be used for 2 years or 1,600 gallon water, for better filtration, suggest to replace after 6-8 month.
Long Lasting - Engdenton Faucet Water Filter Review
- High-quality food grade 304 stainless steel housing, Cracking-proof and no-leakage, durable and long life time;
- The most advanced Activated Carbon Fiber (ACF) filtration technology, inhibit bacterial growth, improve taste, and remove dirt, sand, rust, organics,ect.NOT for reducing TDS;
- Speedy water flow: 0.5GPM filtered water, 8 cups (8.5oz/cup) of clean water per minute, instant relief of thirsty ;
- ONLY suitable for standard faucet. Please study the PHOTOS to determine your faucet type before purchasing. Easy installation, simple and quick, no extra tools needed. Maximum life: 320 gallons or 6 months (based on 8.5oz/cup,27 cups/day);
- If you need technique support or return, please contact us via the email on the packing box. (Replacement filters ASIN #B07DCMM68M or#B07DCN4HRK);
Easy Installation - Apex Countertop Drinking Water Filter Review
- REDUCES CONTAMINANTS IN TAP WATER: The APEX Clear Countertop Alkaline Drinking Water Filter System removes contaminants commonly found in tap water, like chlorine, sediment, and radon. It also filters Cryptosporidium, and Giardia cysts, which contribute to water-borne illnesses. APEX water filters remove mercury and harmful pesticides to give you delicious, sparkling, fresh clean drinking water.
- CONNECTS TO STANDARD FAUCETS: APEX’s Clear countertop water filter system has been designed to conveniently sit right on your kitchen counter. It is simple to install, and connects easily to most standard kitchen faucets. All the necessary hardware is included for easy do-it-yourself installation. Simply remove the aerator screen from the faucet and screw on the collar of the APEX diverter valve.
- COST-EFFECTIVE WATER FILTER: By using an APEX countertop alkaline water filter, you can stop wasting money on small disposable bottles of water that just get thrown away when empty. Buying bottled water for daily home consumption gets expensive and tedious. You don’t have to lug heavy water jugs or cases home to enjoy fresh clean drinking water. APEX water filters are the solution.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE: Owning your own bottleless kitchen water dispenser can not only save you money, but it is the responsible choice for helping to eliminate the millions of plastic water bottles piling up in landfills each year. We only have one world, but it is quickly being polluted by unnecessary water bottles that can be reduced by having your own filtered water source at home.
- MADE IN THE USA: Proudly made in the USA, APEX makes all of their products according to the National Safety Foundation certified water filter safety standards and requirements. By following the strict guidelines of the NSF and the FDA, we ensure that the water your family drinks is completely safe and healthy. Let APEX clean and protect your drinking water so you don’t have to worry about it.
Improved Life Quality: Waterdrop Chubby 10-Cup Water Filter Pitcher Review
- Effective filtration: Using 7-stage water pitcher filter technology, the Waterdrop Chubby water filter pitcher tests the water to eliminate to the barest minimum. Reducing heavy metals such as arsenic, lead, and other contaminants such as fluoride, chlorine, as well as any existent foul taste and odor. Offering you healthier and better-tasting water. 3-pack replacement filters are available for purchase! (search model: WD-PF-01A Plus)
- Exceptional quality: The product is made up of high-grade BPA-free plastic, with a simple, yet rigid natural wooden handle, which makes handling of the equipment easier. Using silver-loaded activated carbon and highly efficient ACF from Japan for the premium water pitcher filter, you are assured of optimal filter performance.
- Long-lasting life with risk-free guarantee: The high-quality filters produce over 200 gallons of water before replacement. Plus, one Waterdrop Chubby water filter pitcher replaces over 1600 standard 16-oz bottle water. This pitcher also comes with a 90-day guarantee, quality assurance, and prompt service delivery.
- Intelligent indicator: Our Intelligent design ensures a healthier and hassle-free life for users, as you can monitor water quality at any time. Thanks to the replaceable intelligent indicator which can sense when water is being poured, you can now see the usage state of the filter element based on the display mode of the LED (light-emitting diode) in real time.
- Innovative design: Waterdrop Chubby water filter pitcher design allows the pitcher’s water filter to be perfectly placed on most fridge doors, the innovative design of the spout lid can help keep dust and other particles from getting into the pitcher. It is very easy to refill the pitcher, as you don’t even need to remove the lid.
Certified by WQA: Woder WD-S-8K-DC Water Filtration System Review
- ULTRA HIGH CAPACITY - LASTS FOR A MINIMUM OF 3 YEARS OR 8,480 GALLONS - Notes: For longest life, use with municipal treated cold water only, not well water. Do not use with salty or softened water. Connects for use only with cold water for drinking.
- USA MADE - NO PLUMBING REQUIRED – Comes with ‘Direct Connect’ hoses that fit standard 3/8” water valves under US kitchen and bathroom sinks. The 3/8” Direct Connect Hose are made to install directly to the existing cold water valve and faucet stem under your sink. Replacement filters ASIN B0144MFN92.
- WQA GOLD SEAL CERTIFIED to NSF/ANSI 42 for Chlorine, taste, odor and NSF/ANSI 372 for lead free compliance as verified and substantiated by test data. Flow rate 2GPM @65 psig
- SELECTIVE FILTRATION - Woder filters have a unique technology that removes over 99.99% of contaminants while leaving in all essential minerals (Reverse osmosis filter out everything, including the minerals your body needs. As far as nutrition goes, experts consider it essentially dead water).
- PURE AND HEALTHY WATER – WITH NO MORE BOTTLES IN THE FRIDGE - Eliminates lead (99.9%), heavy metals, chlorine (99.9%), chromium 6, mercury, volatile organic compounds, carcinogens, and other contaminants, as well as turbidity, odors and bad tastes, so you and your family enjoy pure, healthy, spring-fresh water from the tap.
Save Money - PUR Classic Faucet Mount Filter Review
- FAUCET WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM – Enjoy cleaner, filtered water from your faucet with the PUR Faucet Mount Filter System. It’s easy to attach and includes a MineralClear filter that filters water over natural minerals for a crisp, refreshing taste.
- REDUCES LEAD AND 70+ CONTAMINANTS – This PUR drinking water faucet filtration system is certified to reduce over 70 contaminants, including lead, mercury and certain pesticides. PUR Faucet Filtration systems reduce more contaminants than any other brand.
- EASY ONE CLICK ATTACHMENT – The faucet mounted water filter is easy to attach, and no tools are required. Compatible with most faucets, but will not work with pull-out or hand-held faucets.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE – Genuine PUR Faucet mount water filters are certified to reduce lead and other harmful contaminants from your water. Compatible water filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same water quality.
- #1 SELLING BRAND IN FAUCET FILTRATION – Contaminants can enter your water system daily, so filtering your water is important. PUR has been developing innovative technologies for superior water filtration for over 30 years.
High Performance Filtration - DuPont Premier Faucet Mount Drinking Water Filter Review
- High performance filtration and better tasting water in one convenient filter
- Includes filter which reduces sediment, chlorine, cysts, linden, benzene, asbestos, mercury and lead
- Improves the taste, odor and clarity of your water
- Micro ban Antimicrobial product protection built-in to cartridge housing and media for improved filter life
- Easily attaches to standard kitchen faucets
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About the Best Drinking Water Filter
Drinking water filter systems today promise to not just do away with strange odors and chemicals but also heavier chemicals like lead, mercury, and arsenic. They are also designed to do away with microorganisms like bacteria and protozoa and all other organic wastes that can enter your drinking water and unleash discomfort and diseases to your loved ones.
Most drinking water filter systems are either too costly or do not deliver on their promise of safe drinking water. Thankfully for our research, we have just the right amount of expertise to tell you what best drinking water filter you should put your money in.
What Is A Water Filter?
A water filter is a device that helps to sieve out all the unwanted chemicals, heavy metal, funky odor, microorganisms, and biological wastes for the water that is being supplied to you in your home, office, or anywhere that you are out and about.
In the most basic form, top-rated water filters either use three types of barriers:
- Physical barrier;
- Chemical barrier;
- Biological barrier.
To decontaminate the water that comes in your kitchen tap or anywhere there is that you drink water, trusting it to be safe and secure. There are as many ways of filtering drinking water as there are models of portable water filters.
Do Drinking Water Filters Work?
There are a plethora of drinking water filter systems on the market today, and you will see them everywhere – right from your close friend’s kitchen to your office pantry to the cafeteria that you frequent. It is a fallacy to think that all the water cleaning system is equal. There is no water filter for drinking that can claim to be one hundred percent. This is confirmed by Shiraz University of Medical Sciences research (The Effectiveness of Home Water Purification Systems on the Amount of Fluoride in Drinking Water). They cannot practically remove all the contaminants in the water how much ever they theoretically claim. It is not possible.
This is the reason why you should know the quality of the water that reaches your taps by conducting a water test with a third-party laboratory. Once you understand what the contaminants in your tap water are, you must start looking for a drinking water filtration system that fits your bill (and your budget).
The ball is, therefore, in your court! If you want to put your hard-earned money in the right place, make sure that you
- Conduct a water test to determine the contaminants in your water before you head out to buy;
- Read the label carefully to understand if the technology that you are investing in is something that will help you fix your drinking water needs.
Benefits Of Drinking Water Filter
- It is essential to clean the water off chlorine that the water department adds to get rid of the bacteria and the protozoa that may reach your home with water.
- Water filters improve the taste as well as the smell of the water.
- Water filters also help in eliminating heavier and toxic metals that invariably find their way into water bodies by leaching or via effluent discharge from errant industries. More particularly lead, arsenic, and mercury that can take a toll on your loved one’s lives.
- They give you freedom from packaged water and heaps of plastic bottles and cans that will invariably end up in landfills.
- They are pocket friendly, and you do not incur recurring costs.
- Research points to the fact that some of the best drinking filtering systems reduce the risk of falling sick by 50 percent and improve the immune power of seniors and the juniors.
- Drinking clean and filtered water protects you and your loved ones from diseases – both standard and some serious like cancers and other skin malignancies.
- It is an affordable source of clean drinking water that you can use for cooking, brushing your teeth as well as watering your plants.
How Do Water Filters Work?
Water filters come in tens of sizes and configurations. They can remove:
- Physical particles such as sediments, small rocks, and rust;
- Chemicals such as chlorine, sulfur, and iron;
- Heavy metals such as lead, mercury, and arsenic;
- And microscopic organisms such as protozoa, bacteria, and viruses.
They use physical barriers to remove larger particles, and chemical filtration uses activated carbon to purify water.
There are four methods used:
- Reverse Osmosis;
- Ion Exchange;
- Steam distillation;
- Activated carbon filters.
Reverse Osmosis (RO) removes contaminants from water with the help of a semi-permeable membrane to trap Lead, Mercury, and Iron. However, chlorine and radon escape.
Ion Exchange filters soften tough water. The filter first off releases sodium ions that get exchanged with the heavy metal, and the result is that you get soft, more pleasing water in terms of taste. The only drawback is that it can drastically increase the sodium content in the water.
Steam Distillation heats water, and the cooling steam removes contamination. The steam then condenses and turns into water is thus purified. The only problem is that it may also remove some of the beneficial minerals from water.
Activated carbon filters are very popular. The porous block traps most of the contaminants. Large particles get stuck on the outside, and the chemicals get trapped internally.
How to Choose the Best Drinking Water Filter?
A filter that is about 4.4 by 20” is good enough to filter contaminated water. If it is the best under sink water filter, it should ideally fit inside the sink counter without jutting out.
Some of the contaminants that they filter are:
- Organic compounds;
- Nitrate as also perchlorate.
The flow rate largely depends on the pipe’s diameter. For instance, a pipe measuring ¾ of an inch can effectively have a flow rate of 13 to 14 gallons per minute; the bigger the diameter, the better the flow rate.
Filter life depends on the quality of water (the number of contaminants that the filter needs to eradicate) as well as the amount of water that is purifies measured in gallons.
Using water filters for home is not just great for your pocket; it is also very good for your immune system and overall health.
Ease Of Use
Thanks to technology, it is now possible to have access to the most healthy and safest drinking water on demand and the opening of a faucet.
Ease Of Install
All of the water purifying systems are easy to install. There are user manual, video tutorials, and helpful customer support executives will make installing it a breeze.
All the filtration systems come with a minimum one year guarantee. All the best brands have very responsive customer support to troubleshoot 24/7/365 in case there be a need.
A water purifying pitcher can be bought for as little as $50, and an under sink or countertop water purification system may cost you anywhere above $400.
Best Drinking Water Filter Types
Water Filter Pitcher
- Water filters are the most popular choice of people all over the world and especially here in America.
- They are easy to use. All you need to do is just to fill them with tap water and wait till all the water will flow through the cartridge inside.
- They are most affordable, and the costliest model is not over $45.
- They remove bad odor and flavor effectively.
- They meet the stringent standards set by the NSF International.
- They can do away entirely with chlorine, lead, and mercury.
- They are average to good in effectively removing all traces of heavy metals, harmful pesticides, and other bio-organic waste matter and microbes.
- You need to change the filter every two months or roughly every 40 gallons that you filter.
- Some of the high-end models come with indicators that will tell you of an impending filter change.
The only drawback with the best water filter pitcher is that they take a considerable amount of time to filter water. If you are looking to filter water in a high traffic household, then perhaps a water filter pitcher is not the right technology for you. What you need is a robust best drinking water filter 2020 that we recommend at the end of this guide.
Permanent Drinking Water Filter
Faucet Drinking Water Filter
- Faucet drinking water filtration system is an inexpensive way of converting your normal tap water.
- They are easy to install and extremely effective at removing all the menacing contaminants in tap water.
- You do not have to change the cartridges as often as in other filtration systems.
- They are eco-friendly because they do not produce any wastewater while filtering, nor do they need any form of energy to run.
- It is estimated that they can improve the water quality by an impressive 20 percent.
- They have cartridges filters that work to filter out contaminants from water. The first step of filtration is removing sediments from the water. It does this with a non-woven screen that is neatly wound around the cartridge.
- The water reaches the activated block of carbon, where most of the contaminants get blocked in the high capacity filter mesh. Silver mesh added on the porous block of carbon will effectively kill microorganisms like fungi and virus.
- The next stage is the removal of heavy metals and chemicals. The faucet water filtration system is slow compared to others because the more time water stays near the activated carbon block, the more capacity it will have to purify the water.
Faucet water filters take under five minutes to install, and there is no civil or plumbing work required at all; zilch! It effectively removes chlorine, which is a disinfectant used by the municipal water bodies. It removes all odors, tastes, and colors. And the best part is that you leave behind no carbon footprint because the plastic filter is completely recyclable!
Under Sink Drinking Water Filter
- Under sink drinking, water filters are very efficient.
- Except for RO system, most under sink filter do not waste any water while purifying.
- They are not just efficient; they are also environmentally friendly.
- It takes water from directly under the sink and purifies it in a plastic housing. Whenever you want to use the filtered water, you can simply open the faucet on the sink that is connected with the filter and enjoy contamination-free water anytime on demand.
- The faucet from the filter does not interfere with your hot and cold faucet on the sink. It has its very convenient faucet.
- Critics say that tap water may stay a very short time in the filter housing, and that is why the water may still contain contaminants, but this is not the case. The filter used is powerful enough to be able to retain all the chemicals, heavy metals, sediments, rust in the shortest time possible.
- They are relatively easy to install, and changing the filter in some of the models is a breeze. The installation can be done by yourself only if you have minimum knowledge of plumbing.
- Most models need a cartridge replacement in 6 months to one year, and some outstanding models may need it even once in 3 years, depending on the water quality and the amount of water filtered.
Best Drinking Water Filter FAQ
How To Install Water Filter?
Tools you will need
- Home water filter;
- Pipe wrench;
- Pipe cutter;
- Teflon tape.
Drain the system by turning off the water supply and then shutting the main water supply. Open all the faucets to drain all the remaining water in the pipeline.
Select the location that you want to install your water filtration system. Use the water filter template to mark its exact placement if this is your first DIY. Using a pipe cutter, cut the pipe length, you will need to use your bought best drinking water filter.
Protip: keep enough allowance beneath the tank of the filter for you to replace cartridges easily.
Make two cuts on the pipe and remove the section. Now tighten the cutter on the pipe in such a way that in lines up with the blade. Keep rotating the cutter till it cuts through the pipe and smoothens the burrs on the inside.
Now place the small side of the compression nut on one end of the cut pipe and slide on a ferrule. Repeat the same step on the other end of the pipe as well.
Choose a brass fitting thread and install the water in and water out port per the manufacturer’s manual. Use Teflon tape to seal the pipes. Take care, not to over tighten. Hold the filter on the set water line and tighten the compression nuts. Tighten all the fittings using a wrench.
Position and fix the water filter with the in port that is closest to the water meter and the outport closest to the water heater. Reversing this arrangement will mean that the water filter will not work correctly.
Check the installation for any leaks by turning on the filter valve. Change the settings to filter and let the waterfall inside the filter tank. Recheck the fittings for any leaks.
Congratulations, you have set up your home water filter!
Should You Filter Tap Water?
In most parts of the US, tap water is safe to consume. Filtering tap water further removes any chemicals, heavy metals, or unwanted biological wastes and micro-organisms. Supporting your local public utility for drinking water is not just a smart choice but also a good for your wallet as well as for Mother Earth.
How Long Do Water Filters Last?
When you are buying a kitchen water filter, you may want to make sure if it comes with replaceable cartridges. It is a good idea to have spare cartridges at your disposal so that you can replace them without spending too much time. Some of the under sink drinking water filter comes with complimentary one or two filters.
If you are under counter drinking water filter comes with a sediment filter or sub-micron filter, you can replace the sediment filter two times in a year, and the sub-micron filter can be replaced once annually. Finally, it all depends on the kind of water and the concentration of a contaminant that is in the water that will determine how fast your filters clog, and you will need to replace them.
Do I Need To Clean Water Filter?
Yes, it does make a lot of sense to simply clean the filter rather than get it serviced once or twice a year or replace it once the need arises. However, cleaning the filter will big-time depend on what filter you are using.
- UV purifiers/distillation units do not use filters at all, and that is why you will need to service the entire device whenever the need arises.
- Filters that use activated carbon for removing impurities will reach saturation, after which they will begin to absorb some of the pollutants themselves, drastically reducing its filtration capacity. It is best to replace carbon filters once there is a build upon them and clogging.
- Reverse osmosis filters are designed to dispose of the wastes automatically. Cleaning them once in two or three months will clear away the excessive build upon them, helping them to process the remaining.
- Large and complex whole house water filtration system will need professional cleaning and maintenance. It is best to call in people to do it for you.
How Do I Know If I Need To Replace Drinking Water Filter?
If you have landed here, there is a high chance that you are also looking through drinking water filter comparison charts. If you already have a water filter system that you are looking to replace, here are the sure signs that you need to replace it:
- Water filter manufacturers will generally give you a rough estimate of their lifetime. This is usually measured in terms of the number of gallons that has passed through the filter.
However, this is not the most accurate yardstick to discard your water filter and go in for a new one.
- The overall condition of your filtered water. Use a testing kit to determine if it can filter out all the undesirable contaminants.
- If you find your water very hard (difficult to create a lather with soap) and you suspect that there is a limescale build that is clogging it.
- If your average usage of water has tremendously increased over a period and you find that the quality of filtration is compromised.
- Significant decrease in water pressure.
- When you notice a funky odor, taste, or color in the filtered water.
Does Drinking Water Filter Remove Bad Odor?
Are you experiencing a strong odor from your drinking water supply? It is highly recommended that you use the best drinking water filter for well water because of the rotten egg smell, maybe because of the breaking down of sulfur compounds by bacteria giving our very menacing gas called hydrogen sulfide.
Ultraviolet water filters can remove hydrogen sulfide or kill the Sulphur bacteria. They are also great for protecting your family from other microbes and heavy chemicals. There are two main filtration methods available for removing hydrogen sulfide from water:
- Activated carbon is a great way to reduce the amount of Hydrogen sulfide gas. However, this method of filtration works only when the amount of gas is meager at about 1 ppm.
- Say the amount of sulfur is too high in your home drinking water, then the next and the best alternative to carbon is to use a filtration device that uses a media containing manganese dioxide. This compound occurs naturally and is usually employed to remove iron content from the water. It oxidizes iron effectively, and that is why it is marketed as an iron water filter.
Do Water Filters Remove Fluoride?
If fluoride in your drinking and washing water is the concern, thankfully, there is something that you can do to eliminate it. Go for the best countertop water filter that features RO (Reverse Osmosis) because water forced against the force of osmosis through the activated carbon mesh in RO filtration system is one of the best ways to make sure that fluoride does not enter your system either through drinking or other activities like showering.
- Do your homework well before picking up a RO water filter.
- Invest in testing kits to make sure that the water that is filtered through it is fluoride-free.
- Keep extra meshes and cartridges at hand in case you find it not working well enough and as long as recommended by the manufacturer.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2020
RO filters are famed for removing 99 percent of all dangerous chemicals from water, including harmful bacteria and viruses. A good water filter will have the lowest water wastage and will be extremely easy to maintain. It will also come with many stages of water purification and a super-strong membrane to increase the alkalinity of the water. Besides, ones with a high storage capacity will make it a good choice for a mid sized to large family.
If you like our best drinking water filter 2020 guide, don’t forget to give us a thumbs up and share it with everyone. We have a lot of other stuff on the best drinking water filter on mykitchenadvisor. Check us out!