One of the decisions we made at the beginning of this year was to install a garbage disposal. We were reluctant for some time, mainly because we don't like paying handymen unless it is super necessary. Then one day, after having to deal with all the sink waste for the millionth time, we gave in and decided to get one. Finally, we thought, “How hard can the installation be”? We began searching, and then we realized – installation is the least of our problems! We don't know anything at all about them? How to know which model will do the job? How much money should put into it?
But then we thought, “There isn't anything new about garbage disposals, now is there? They have been around for almost a century, and many people already have them installed in their kitchens. But we have to say, opinions about them vary. Some people say that it is a game-changer, others believe they are useful but can give you quite a headache when they clog the pipe. All the contradictory information, had we puzzled so, we decided to not rely only on other people’s experiences but to investigate for ourselves.
After we spent several days reading about garbage disposals (we swear we couldn’t dream of doing something like that), our choice came down to two models Badger 5 and Badger 500. But it wasn't finished, because no matter how much we tried, we couldn't figure out the real differences between Badger 5 vs. Badger 500. It was clear that we can’t do this alone, so we asked for help. We talked with plumbers, as well as people who already have these garbage disposals, and asked them to explain to us how Badger 500 vs. 5 differ. Everything they shared surprised us, so we decided to create Badger 5 vs. Badger 500 reviews to help some of you out there that maybe have the same concerns we did.
Badger 5 Overview
Let’s first talk about Badger 5. It is one of the most popular garbage disposals on the U. S market, and it is representative of excellent quality for a decent price. The main characteristic of this model is the simplicity followed by remarkable durability in terms of construction. Additionally, it comes with quite a strong motor. Let’s look at Insinkerator badger 5 reviews to see other features that this unit brings.
InSinkErator Garbage Disposal with Cord, Badger 5, 1/2 HP Continuous Feed
- RELIABLE & EASY INSTALL: Badger Series disposers are a reliable & functional choice when affordability is the prime concern, and features a compact, space-saving design that fits existing InSinkErator hardware for a quick and easy install.
- DURABLE COMPONENTS: This garbage disposal features our exclusive 1/2 hp Dura-Drive Induction Motor and long lasting galvanized steel components to ensure a dependable grind for everyday food scraps.
- AMERICA'S #1 DISPOSER BRAND: There are more American-built InSinkErator garbage disposals in US homes than all other brands combined. A full line of models means there's one right for every need and budget.
- FASTER, CLEANER, SMARTER: From meal prep to cleanup, InSinkErator helps make it fast & easy to keep your kitchen clean with our iconic appliances: garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers.
- A HISTORY OF INNOVATION FOR THE SINK: We invented garbage disposals in 1927, & we're the world’s largest manufacturer of garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers for home & commercial use.
This machine features a ½ Horse Power Dura-Drive induction motor that spins at 1725 RPM. Now, we know that Horse Power doesn’t mean anything for some of you. Thus, we will say that it equates to 370W. Do you think it is not too strong? You are right, 370W indeed isn’t much, but it is more than enough to finish the job with ease. Believe it or not, the GrindShear Ring technology that characterizes this machine makes even grinding of though foods like bones, perfectly possible. Everything gets liquefied with this technology, so it can safely go into the sewage without any risk of blockage. Some of you might wonder whether this unit contributes to noise pollution. Comparing to newer models, we can say that this one is louder. But if you look at it individually, it has a pretty quiet operation, and you can use it even when you have guests around.
Pros & Cons
|Efficient at liquefying even the toughest foods
||Might be noisy
||Doesn’t come with a cord
|Easy to install
Badger 500 Overview
Looking at the Badger 500 garbage disposal reviews, it is obvious that it is very similar to Badger 5. However, it is newer and more expensive. Let’s see the feature of this one, which will help us compare Insinkerator models.
After taking a glance at garbage disposal comparison, it is clear that Badger 500 operates on the same power as Badger 5. It has the same grind technology that allows it to liquefy even the toughest materials. If something is difficult to dispose of, this garbage disposal will reverse the grinding direction, which will prevent food from getting stuck. Unlike Badger 5, this model uses direct current. It produces a minimal amount of noise. Installation is pretty straightforward, so you don’t have to call the plumber.
Pros & Cons
|Easy to install
||Doesn’t come with a cord
||Might not grind some foods
|Spacious grinding chamber
Badger 5 vs Badger 500: Detailed Analysis
- Noise Level. Comparing Badger 500 vs. Badger 5, we notice that both units have rather a quiet operation. So what is the difference? Well, Badger 5 turns out to be slightly louder than its pricier counterpart.
- Dimensions. There is a difference between Badger 5 and Badger 500 in respect of size. Badger 5 weighs 13.75 pounds, and its dimensions are 7x7x13 inches. The other one weighs 13.9 pounds and comes with 6.3×6.3×12.6 inches dimensions.
- Motor & Wattage. Well, as you could see, both units have a Dura-Drive induction motor with ½ HP. It equates to about 375W.
- Installation. The comparison Badger 5 vs. Badger 500 shows that Installation of both garbage disposals is straightforward. You need to follow the instructions, and you can finish the entire process by yourself.
Buying a Garbage Disposal: General Tips
- Think about motor size because smaller motors often have difficulty processing hard materials.
- Consider the size of the grinding chamber. If the disposal has more horsepower, the chamber will be larger.
How To Install A Barger Garbage Disposal?
- Clean the sink entirely before you begin the installation.
- Turn off the water supply and disconnect the pipes and remove the strainer.
- Use plumbers putty around the flange and press into place.
- Put the snap ring. If necessary, use the screwdriver to tighten it.
- Connect the disposal to the sing or the dishwasher
- Remove the wire cover and connect the electrical cord.
- Connect the drain
- Test the disposal
How Long Does Badger 5 and 500 Garbage Disposals Last?
Same as with any other device, it depends on how well you take care of it. Both of these garbage disposals come with a two-year warranty. However, they are both pretty sturdy and potent, and if you use them correctly, they will last much longer than that.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2021
See, both of these machines are fantastic. The thing is that they are so similar that choosing the best in everything but straightforward. They have the same motor power, same grinding technology, etc. Indeed, the size is a bit different, but not enough to become a deciding factor. So how can you choose? Well, we believe that many people will opt for Badger 5 because it is cheaper. But if the price is not an issue for you, and you are drawn by the fact that Badger 500 is eco-friendly, go for it. What are your thoughts about garbage disposals? Have you used them before? Before we leave, we would like to invite you to revisit us and read about undermount kitchen sinks.